Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-06-2014, 02:28 AM   #1
macnab69
Zealot
macnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 4
Reinstalled - doesn't see my library

Because of a problem I uninstalled and reinstalled calibre. Before I reinstalled I moved my library folder to a better location.

I just can't find the correct way to tell calibre: You see this folder? Well that is my library, USE IT.
macnab69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:04 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@macnab69 - click the Library Icon in toolbar, select Switch/create library, click the blue thing on right end of the New Location text box, navigate to the library folder and select it, make sure the Use the previously existing at the new location radio button is selected, click OK

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-06-2014 at 03:13 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 03:32 AM   #3
macnab69
Zealot
macnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toys

Thanks. I did the more obvious thing, after I thought about it. I redid my folder layout from the backup drive.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:34 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well according to the partial error message you posted the PyQt5 modules are not found. The only way that can happen is a corrupt installation. Perhaps you have two different calibre installations, one 32bit and one 64bit.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:53 AM   #5
macnab69
Zealot

I have been testing various versions. Went back to v1.48. This now has the problem as well.
So something happened in the last few months that stops my PC installing PyQt.
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 06:19 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
PyQt is bundled as part of calibre. I suggest uninstalling, then searching your entire pc for calibre.exe and deleting any folders that contain it, then re-installing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #7
macnab69
Zealot

I already tried that one, unfortunately.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
macnab69
Zealot

For some reason the 32-bit version works ok, so I'll use that in the meantime.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Maybe your Path environment variable got corrupted. (I have seen some doozies)

From the command prompt, type: Path(enter)
c:\Program files\Calibre2; <--- needs to be in the PATH list

in your case, you will also have:
c:\Program files (x86)\Calibre2
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
macnab69
Zealot

Unfortunately not the problem. Also highly unlikely the number of times I have uninstalled and re-installed the last 2 days. Three different versions as well.

Something strange as well, don't know if it is related. I use Revo Uninstall, and the 64-bit version does not show up in the list. The 32-bit version does.

Both versions show up for Windows uninstall.

Last edited by macnab69; 11-07-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnab69 View Post
Unfortunately not the problem. Also highly unlikely the number of times I have uninstalled and re-installed the last 2 days. Three different versions as well.

Something strange as well, don't know if it is related. I use Revo Uninstall, and the 64-bit version does not show up in the list. The 32-bit version does.

Both versions show up for Windows uninstall.
@macnab69 - Revo will remove the configuration data in %appdata% - not sure at which level, but certainly at the most aggressive. If you lose that then calibre wont see you're libraries because that's where their location(s) is/are stored

If Revo is not seeing 64 bit apps, that suggests you're probably using the Free version of Revo... last time I looked, which was admittedly some time ago, Revo for Free didn't see any 64 bit software.

For calibre at least you don't need Revo. The only thing that's written to the registry for a calibre install is what the Trusted Installer writes there, which is what's needed by the control panel applet to do an uninstall. By design, a calibre uninstall does NOT include the removal of its configuration data.

IMO, Revo and others like it are rarely, if ever, needed for Win7, I have only ever used them 'on advice' from developers, and they never once solved a problem. XP was a different story, but for me that was almost 6 years ago.

If you are not installing calibre in the 'regular' Windows install directories -- %ProgramFiles% for 64 bit and %ProgramFiles(x86)% for 32bit then:

I suggest you use the Portable version of calibre which you can install wherever you choose, it's completely self contained - i.e. software, configuration data and libraries all in the one outer directory.

Its 'install' process is essentially a self exploding zip with a bit of intelligence to handle updates - to uninstall you only need delete the directory in which it was installed - eg X:\Calibre Portable

If you don't want your libraries inside the Calibre Portable directory then you can put a symlink to them into that directory and point calibre at the symlink.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-08-2014 at 02:39 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Did you try doing the windows uninstall for all versions of Calibre, THEN search your registry and remove all mention of calibre.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
macnab69
Zealot

@BetterRed. Yes, I remember that about Revo free.
@LadyKate. I always do a registry cleanup after uninstalling anything. I has a stage when I was completely clean. Retried 64-bit - no go. Cleaned again. 32-bit worked. Added 64-bit, no go.
Doesn't make sense, the code is the same, it is just the compile that differs.