Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old Today, 08:20 AM   #1
Inquisitive_Ram
Inquisitive_Ram began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10
Send to kindle: epub 2 or epub3

Hi

If I want to send a book from standard ebooks to my kindle is it best to send the epub2 or epub3?

Thanks
Inquisitive_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:05 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Neither. You want their azw3 format
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 11:23 AM   #3
Inquisitive_Ram

Sorry, I want to use "send to kindle" so it is in the cloud and I can use whispersync between devices. I have to send an epub to do that. Won't allow me to send an azw3

Apols I wasn't clear about that

Last edited by Inquisitive_Ram; Today at 01:21 PM.
Old Today, 12:14 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
epub2 for Send to Kindle, but it ruins your privacy, wastes energy, Amazon gets a copy forever and it's slower.
"Cloud" is a marketing lie. There just servers owned by other people.

If you are using Google / Apple / Microsft email they take a copy too.

azw3 for USB, unless K1, K2, DX and DXG (which likely don't work well with Amazon now and only use mobi).

However Standard eBooks use overly complicated formatting, so you may have to simplify it. I convert all their epub2 to epub2 with Calibre filters.

Last edited by Quoth; Today at 12:16 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:17 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive_Ram View Post
Sorry, I want to use "send to kindle" so it is in the cloud and I can use whispersync between devices. I have to send an epub to do that. Won't allow me to send an aw3

Apols I wasn't clear about that
There is no "send to Kindle" plugin.
You can use send by email (you need to set the account stuff in Preferences:sharing by email)
Amazon dictates which formats they will accept (convert as they forward to your device.)
AFAIK EPUB is the only flavor choice in sharing by email (no 2 or 3 call out)
The rest depends on your lowest capable device (if you have more than 1 Kindle)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 01:21 PM   #6
Inquisitive_Ram

I didn't mention a plugin did I? I always send it by email from my email account (don't use Calibre to email it). I just posted in this forum as it seems quite a few questions about file types are in here

Thank you to the previous poster for the additional info. I am well aware what 'Cloud' is but I have no problem with Amazon or my email provider having a copy of a free out of copyright epub on their server, and I don't regard that as an issue wrt my privacy. As for speed it takes about 30 seconds from hitting send to it appearing on my kindle which I don't regard as an issue. They are all things I am happy to accept in return for the convenience of having the Whispersync functionality