Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-19-2022, 08:58 AM   #1
MartinezzzLV
MartinezzzLV began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Kobo Libra 2 calibre doesn't show books on device

Hey everyone. I'm currently started using calibre to organize my library. My device is Kobo Libra 2.

The transferring book to the device works fine but whenever I reconnect my device to PC, the device library is always empty except for the already default bought book which has come when I bought the book.

Any ideas about what I might be doing wrong? Maybe Kobo stores its books in some specific folder? Some of my books are a free ebooks I have downloaded.
MartinezzzLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:10 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Where are you transferring the books to? Kobo stores its book in a specific folder but you can't use that directory since it is not scanned for new books.

I would suggest creating a directory in the root of the exposed partition, eBooks for example and then configuring your save to device template in the KoboTouch (or KoboTouchExtended if you are using it) driver.

My current template is:

Ebooks/{author_sort:sublist(0,1,&)}/{title} - {authors:sublist(0,1,&)}

Basically, store the books in a directory derived from the first author sort entry with the filename as title - first author in the author list. This just keeps the filename and paths shorter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobotouch_configuration.png
Views:	91
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	197880  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2022, 05:39 AM   #3
MartinezzzLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Where do you transfer the books to? Kobo stores its books in a specific folder, but you can't use that directory because it doesn't scan for new books.

I would suggest creating a directory in the root of the exposed partition, such as eBooks, and then configuring your template to save to the device in the KoboTouch driver (or KoboTouchExtended if you use that).

My current template is:

Ebooks/{author_sort:sublist(0,1,&)}/{title} - {authors:sublist(0,1,&)}

Basically, the books are stored in a directory derived from the first author sort entry with the file name as the title - first author in the author list. This keeps the file names and paths shorter.
Thank you very much for your reply.

I transferred to the root folder. I changed it to the newly created Books folder. Still no luck. After transferring the books into Calibre, I can see them on the device. When I plug the device back in, Puff Calibre is empty again... Books are on the device though. It's just that calibre can't locate them on the device and show it in the software itself.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:21 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinezzzLV View Post
Thank you very much for your reply.

I transferred to the root folder. I changed it to the newly created Books folder. Still no luck. After transferring the books into Calibre, I can see them on the device. When I plug the device back in, Puff Calibre is empty again... Books are on the device though. It's just that calibre can't locate them on the device and show it in the software itself.
After you eject your Kobo, do you see the importing books screen? If the books are not successfully imported, calibre will not show them as on the device? Neither will your Kobo show them in My books.

Also what formats are your ebooks in that you are transferring? If you highlight a book in the calibre library and then hit O to open the directory in which the book is stored, do you see a valid ebook format?

If you manually transfer an epub to the Books directory on your device, does it import?

Can you open the book to view it's content in calibre by double clicking on it?

Are you using a Mac? If so, you may have your Mac set to automatically unpack safe files which will turn your epubs into directories.
Old 11-21-2022, 03:34 AM   #5
MartinezzzLV

Quote:
After you eject your Kobo, do you see the importing books screen?
I'm using KOReader. All I see after disconnecting is stopping USBMS session and then KOReader reboot.

Quote:
If the books are not successfully imported, calibre will not show them as on the device? Neither will your Kobo show them in My books.
The books are successfully imported to the reader, and I can read them. It is just that calibre cannot see them on the reader when reconnecting reader to PC.

Quote:
Also what formats are your ebooks in that you are transferring? If you highlight a book in the calibre library and then hit O to open the directory in which the book is stored, do you see a valid ebook format?
I have converted fb2 format to epub. I have bought a reader a month ago and I can read books on it. The problem is not in importing books, it's about detecting that the books are on device by calibre. I have tried with fb2 since koreader can read this format and perhaps the problem with epub, but... no luck in detecting the books.

Quote:
If you manually transfer an epub to the Books directory on your device, does it import?
Yes of course. Import works but no detection of the imported books after reconnecting, though they are ON a reader.

Quote:
Can you open the book to view it's content in calibre by double clicking on it?
Yes of course.

Quote:
Are you using a Mac? If so, you may have your Mac set to automatically unpack safe files which will turn your epubs into directories.
Win 11.

Last edited by MartinezzzLV; 11-21-2022 at 03:36 AM.
Advert
Old 11-21-2022, 11:29 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Are you using the KoboTouch driver? The KoboTouch driver assumes that you are using Nickel which will import the ebooks to the database. This is not done by KOReader. For KOReader, I would suggest just using a save to disk template.

If you still want to use the KoboTouch driver, I would suggest running Nickel to import the books and then switching to KOReader (I use NickelMenu to launch KOReader and/or Plato).
Old 11-21-2022, 11:40 AM   #7
MartinezzzLV

Quote:
Are you using the KoboTouch driver? The KoboTouch driver assumes that you are using Nickel which will import the ebooks to the database. This is not done by KOReader. For KOReader, I would suggest just using a save to disk template.

If you still want to use the KoboTouch driver, I would suggest running Nickel to import the books and then switching to KOReader (I use NickelMenu to launch KOReader and/or Plato).
Yep the plugin was installed by default it is on.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-21 183435.png
Views:	80
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	197905

I have done installation on Koreader and Nickel by using 1 click installation file from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314220

Maybe I'm doing it wrong somehow? I'm not using Nickel except for launching the Koreader.

Maybe, for example I need to exit the Koreader on the reader and stay on the stock software and then add books via calibre? O_o

How do you run Nickel? Is there a specific command for "import mode"? I thought it was running each time I'm launching the reader automatically.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:11 PM   #8
MartinezzzLV

The problem has been solved!

I just exited KOReader to stock. Plugged into PC, resync calibre, and voila. Everything works.

Thank you!
Old 11-21-2022, 02:13 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The problem has been solved!

I just exited KOReader to stock. Plugged into PC, resync calibre, and voila. Everything works.

Thank you!
NickelMenu will allow you to tell Nickel to rescan for any new eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 02:15 PM   #10
MartinezzzLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
NickelMenu will allow you to tell Nickel to rescan for any new eBooks.
I didn't understand how to add specific commands to nickelmenu, even after reading manual

So I'm using it only for launching KOReader, but thanks for the tip!
Old 11-21-2022, 03:04 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I didn't understand how to add specific commands to nickelmenu, even after reading manual

So I'm using it only for launching KOReader, but thanks for the tip!
Here is the line in the config to scan for new books. Just edit the NickelMenu config and add this line. If you use Windows, use an editor such as Notepad++.

Code:
menu_item :main :Import books       :nickel_misc        :rescan_books_full
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote