Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
rande5
rande5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Sony Reader PRS - 505

I live in Canada and have just received a Sony Reader PRS-505. While it is wonderful "gadget", I cannot order any books from Connect e-books as I do not have a US credit card. I understand that there are two downloads to use that will assist me in converting Microsoft E-Books to Sony Reader compatible books (convertlit and libprs500). How in the world do you use these programs? I am not very computer literate and I am having a lot of difficulty with this. Can someone help me out?
rande5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
I use LibPRS and think it is relatively straightforward (I hope) if you understand the process. Note that when we say "book" we really mean just about any document. Images usually get stripped out because the current technology does not display them very well. But apart form that "book" means web pages, Word files (saved as rich text (rtf)), ebooks bought online and so on. Once you have installed LibPRS and started the program the steps are:
  1. import your books and documents
  2. convert them to "lrf" format
  3. send them to your lissoose

Importing can be as simple as dragging and dropping the files into the LibPrs program, or you can use the "Add books" button and browse for files.

Then select the new files and hit the "Convert E-books" button (if you have more than one it's probably better to use the drop-down arrow next to that button and go "bulk convert". It's best initially to just hit "ok" on the dialog that pops up asking you to customise the conversion.

Now wait until the hourglass stops going round.

Once that happens all your books are converted and it's time to hit the "send to device" button.

That's it. Unplug your lissoose and it will display the rotating arrow "wait" icon for a little, and when it finishes you should have a bunch of new books on your device.

The official user manual here: http://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/user_manual/ does help but is written for people more geeky than average I fear.

Edit: I haven't actually tried any of the Microsoft-format books, directly. I have some but when I got them I immediately converted them to HTML and have not touched the originals since. ConvertLit is probably the program you need for that.

Last edited by moz; 03-05-2008 at 10:38 PM.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
Rick C
Seeker
Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I am a Canadian too, and just picked up my Sony 505 in Michigan last week.I have already picked up some add on memory because my book is getting so full.

Here are some tips:
When you load the ebook connect software you can claim your 100 free classic books by simply checking the box saying that you are an American.No address or anything is needed-now you can download all 100 of the 'classic' books-(public domain).

On this site there are hundreds of 'classic' books available in lrf format that have been converted by members of the forum.

The Sony connect store has gift cards available to buy, so if you are going to be making a trip State side, stop into a Borders bookstore and get a card. Actually I read somewhere that there is a member of this forum that will buy the cards for international members.

Likewise, when in the States, you can pick up pre-paid credit cards from lot's of places-like any bank and plenty of malls. THese work well on-line as well.
Rick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:30 AM   #4
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If you have any PDFs that need converting to LRT, I highly recommend pdflrf v0.99. It preserves all images and page structure perfectly. With the Windows version you just click the down arrow next to the Input box, click Browse, select your PDF and click Convert. There are other settings but I haven't needed to use them.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote