Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2024, 02:51 PM   #1
hamers
Enthusiast
hamers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (6", 4GB)
Strange Clara BW load error and half-factory reset issue

I have a strange issue that came up when recently I was traveling without internet and wanted to see if anyone else had had it.

I turned on reader as usual, clicked on a book but the kobo said it couldn't load it, "try syncing online". I had zero internet (was camping in fact) and tried some other books and all had the same error.

Thinking it was some temporary bug, I held the power button til it power down, then powered up. Holy &*#&$, now it acted as if I had reset it and asked me to log into a wifi network to activate. Again, I am camping in the mountains and have no connection. I was mighty pissed let me tell you.

After trying to no avail, I connected the kobo to my phone and mounted it and lo and behold all my books are there, no issue. I copied a couple of my books to my android phone and luckily I had librera installed, and read there.. An inferior reading experience but thank god I had it for the 2 hours of pre-sleep inside the tent.

Then just got home, went through the kobo activation (again, it was as if it was a factory reset) and got back to the homescreen, and ALL MY CONTENT IS THERE, including settings (like dark mode)!

My questions.. What the hell happened here... How can I "re-activate" my kobo in the future if I'm totally offline but have an android phone where I can mount it (eg can I delete or add or edit a file on the reader that would kick it out of this stupid ass activation screen)?

Thanks for any input, insights or thoughts!
hamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:29 AM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Strange Clara BW load error and half-factory reset issue

There is a way to bypass registering which you could do on your Android phone, but it’s quite geeky: https://jacobalbano.com/2021/06/24/s...ut-logging-in/

There are other examples to be found on mobileread as well.

Since Kobo requires you to register online, you can usually register with a fake email address, then shut off Wi-Fi afterwards. So editing the SQL database and giving it bogus information is just an extension of that.

It looks like you just experienced a soft reset which leaves content on the Kobo intact. It could’ve been worse, but who wants to experience that while camping?
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 07:43 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
There is a way to bypass registering which you could do on your Android phone, but it’s quite geeky: https://jacobalbano.com/2021/06/24/s...ut-logging-in/

There are other examples to be found on mobileread as well.

Since Kobo requires you to register online, you can usually register with a fake email address, then shut off Wi-Fi afterwards. So editing the SQL database and giving it bogus information is just an extension of that.

It looks like you just experienced a soft reset which leaves content on the Kobo intact. It could’ve been worse, but who wants to experience that while camping?
The problem i that something went wrong an there was no computer available.

The easiest solution is to create a hotpot on the phone and connect the Kobo to the phone's WiFi and go from there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:23 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The easiest solution is to create a hotpot on the phone and connect the Kobo to the phone's WiFi and go from there.
I so enjoy electronic hotpot!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:38 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
One could also use nicklemenu?

One entry to backup/copy the database
Another entry to restore the database
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 01:06 PM   #6
hamers
Enthusiast
hamers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (6", 4GB)
excellent suggestions thank you. i don't suspect (hope) that this will happen often, maybe never again and was just a crazy bug, but i'd like to be ready. If this is my only reading device, being stuck for 6 days without it would be hell. i dont mind editing sql, i already have tools on my phone.

@JSWolf the hotspot (and hotpot!) idea is quite good, but i wonder if it would work if the phone also had no connection.

as to nicklemenu, John F, would that work if I couldn't even get in?
hamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:41 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My concern about NickleMenu doing a backup is that you really need the database closed by all other applications (ie Nickel itself) before taking a backup (and of course before restoring it).

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:15 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamers View Post

as to nicklemenu, John F, would that work if I couldn't even get in?
I believe it wouldn't work if you couldn't get in.
Old Today, 04:19 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
My concern about NickleMenu doing a backup is that you really need the database closed by all other applications (ie Nickel itself) before taking a backup (and of course before restoring it).

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
A shot in the dark, but maybe use one/some of the Nicklemenu commands have the side effect of closing it?