Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-06-2023, 05:42 PM   #1
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Calibre 6.11: "Remove CSS Rules" and "Check Book" Conflicts

I'm not sure what to do with this. With the new Calibre 6.11, things have changed with either the Remove CSS Rules or the Check Book tools and they're conflicting a bit.

With a book earlier today, after doing a Remove CSS Rules with all 4 boxes checked (Remove Unused Class Attributes, Merge CSS Rules with Identical Selectors, Merge CSS Rules with Identical Properties and Remove Unreferenced Style Sheets), Check Book complained that my standard paragraph rule should have been BEFORE some composite rules using it (h2 + p, etc.). No problem, I moved p up a bit in my stylesheet.

But, just now, I did the same thing and Check Book is now complaining that "div.letter p" should be AFTER some composite rules. The problem is that in my original layout, "div.letter p" WAS after those rules. But, since "p" and "div.letter p" are the same, Remove CSS Rules merged them and put the result BEFORE those rules. Unfortunately, "p" has to be BEFORE those rules and "div.letter p" has to be AFTER them. So, they conflict.

I can (probably) work around this by turning off those Merge rules in Remove CSS Rules. But, Calibre 6.10 and earlier didn't complain about this. It'd be nice if Calibre could check positioning rules before merging "identicals." But, I'm thinking the processing required might be too much.

Anyway, I'm going to turn off the Merge options since that's merely stylesheet cosmetics. But, I thought I'd report it.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 01-06-2023 at 05:44 PM.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:01 PM   #2
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
Release: 6.11
New features
Edit book: Check book: Allow automatic fixing of various simple CSS errors

What is a simple CSS error? I have not met one since 1997. "Automatic fixing" sounds like something most of us would avoid.

Positioning of a rule is part of the cascade and should remain in the hands of the coder, no matter how incompetent.

Last edited by Brett Merkey; 01-06-2023 at 08:19 PM.
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2023, 09:45 PM   #3
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was also thinking it was related to this:
Quote:
Edit book: Switch to a new library (stylelint) for find problems in CSS as the old library was no longer maintained.
Old 01-07-2023, 03:35 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The new check rule encourages you to put the css rules in the order of increasing specificity. This is because when there are two mechanisms at play for the order in which CSS rules are applied. The specificity of the selector, and when that is the same, the position of the rule in the source. By re-ordering the rules so that these match you can tell at a glance which rule is more significant without having to compute its specificity in your head.

I could have Remove CSS rules/Beautify CSS also re-order them by their specificity to avoid seeing this warning, it shouldnt be much work to implement.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 03:55 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On second thoughts, automatically sorting them is a bit problematic because it means that any top level comments may no longer be in the right place after sorting.
Advert
Old 01-07-2023, 10:59 AM   #6
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Well, merging has always caused issues with comments (they get left behind). So, I'm not sure if sorting would be any different. Well, I take that back. I suppose if you sorted the whole rule, then any comments within the rule would come along with it when it moved. So, that's actually better than what happens with merging.

For me, as just a dabbler, all of this is just fine. But, for professionals, I'm not sure what they would want/expect.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:45 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I am talking about comments at the top level between rules, not comments inside rules. Sorting can potentially re-order *everything* it's much more disruptive than merging.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:08 PM   #8
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
This made me realize that even though inventing my own tags worked, it wasn't "right". It took me quite a while to change everything to "proper" html/css. I was certainly shocked when I ran Check Book on an epub I had just checked a bit before updating and saw so many errors!
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:31 PM   #9
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Running Check Book on my (yesterday's) standard set of styles basically gave me just two errors:

1) Unexpected Empty Comment: I had sectioned off some areas with multiple, single-line comments (including those empty ones). I converted them to multiline comments.
2) My standard "p" selector should have come before nine other compound selectors which included the "p" (i.e., "h1 + p", etc.). Again, no problem moving that up a bit.

So, in general, I'm happy with the new functionality and I learned a bit.
Old 01-07-2023, 09:46 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The other nice thing about the new library is it auto-fixes some simple things saving you the bother. For example, two consecutive semi-colons or duplicate property definitions within a rule. These can be fixed by other means as well of course, but it is convenient to have them easily fixed from within check book.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:33 AM   #11
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
"two consecutive semi-colons"

Ok, well that answers my question about what is a simple CSS error. <g>
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote