Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
gianfri
Connoisseur
gianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony
Newbie question - adding to custom recipes (cover page, etc.)

Hi,

questions from an enthusiastic, but very green newbie:

1. How do I add to a custom recipe an image of the front page of a newspaper as a cover to each download, if that is available? See for example the New York Times recipe.

2. I have a Sony PRS-950, which can display headers and footers with quick linkes to jump to the next article, next section, etc. Again, this works with several built-in recipes (New York Times for examples). How do I add those to a custom recipe?

Thanks!!!!

Gianfranco
gianfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
1. You have to find the image of the front page on the site and put its URL in the variable cover_url. Or write a method get_cover_url that returns the URL. Usually you have to find something about the printed edition on the site to get the front page. If there is no image of the front page on the site you are out of luck. Or maybe you can generate a fake one.

2. This is done automatically by Calibre.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Look in the sticky for reusable recipe code. I put a post there recently talking about getting cover images from newseum.org
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
gianfri
Connoisseur
gianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
2. This is done automatically by Calibre.
Thanks for the reply. This is done by Calibre for built in recipes, but not for custom recipes. At least not those that I have tried...
Old 12-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

For me it does. I don't think Calibre makes a distinction between standard and custom recipes.
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
gianfri
Connoisseur

Quote:
For me it does. I don't think Calibre makes a distinction between standard and custom recipes.
Mmm. For me, from custom recipes I can see only the TABLE OF CONTENTS button in the footer, and the title of the newspaper in the upper header.

For issues downloaded using the built-in recipe of the New York Times, for example, I have:

Title in the upper header
Section title in the lower header
The following buttons in the footer: SECTION, FRONT PAGE, TABLE OF CONTENTS, SECTION.

I am trying to understand the difference between the various recipes so that I can recreate the same buttons that I have in the New York Times.

Thanks!!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It has nothing to do with builtin vs. custom. That special navigation on the 900 is based on an extra file in the EPUB called atom.xml. The format of that file has been reverse engineered, but for some downloads it does not work, it is not clear why, and I'm not motivated enough to spend more time on it, as it works for all the news sources I care about.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:17 AM   #8
pietvo
Reader

@gianfri: I thought you were talking about the standard calibre generated menu:
| Next | Section Menu | Main Menu | Previous |
Old 12-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
gianfri
Connoisseur

Quote:
@gianfri: I thought you were talking about the standard calibre generated menu:
| Next | Section Menu | Main Menu | Previous |
No, I can see that in the text portion of the article. I was referring to the buttons in the footer, which I find much more convenient. Thanks!