Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-31-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
EPUB -> CBZ Conversion?

I did a thread search before posting this, and I see alot of articles on converting CBZ -> EPUB, but nothing on the reverse.

My use-case is that I have a bunch of digital comics I purchased from a vendor (we'll call them "Rainforest") and then stripped the DRM to get an EPUB. I'd prefer to just have them as generic CBR/CBZ files, though, so that I can leverage the dedicated comic-book reader apps on my tablet.

I've found that I can manually make a CBZ file from a comic source EPUB by just yanking the "Images" directory out of the extracted EPUB, zipping it up, and renaming it to a .CBZ extension. This is trivial to do, but quite time-consuming.

Has anyone created a plugin/conversion option that would let me do this within Calibre? I am sure this might result in some missing metadata, but I did try googling around, and as far as I'm aware there is no established "standard" for CBR/CBZ files for metadata files, etc. It looks like it's literally just a Zip Archive or RAR Archive of images, with the first chronologically-named image serving as the comic's cover.

If I'm wrong on this front, I'd appreciate any info about the CBR/CBZ standard.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What you have written accords with my understanding of CBZ/CBR.

You could convert the EPUB to ZIP. My default comic book viewer, Honeyview, can open ZIPs, and it ignores non image files, I'd be surprised if other comic viewers weren't similar.

I can't think of a built in way to rename a ZIP to CBZ from within calibre - you'd need to copy the ZIP somewhere, rename it to CBZ and then add it to the book and delete the ZIP. This is what I'd do - open the book folder, drag the ZIP to the desktop, close the book folder, rename the ZIP to CBZ, drag it back to the Book details panel and then delete the ZIP.

For a bunch of books you could use the command line ebook-convert tool to do the EPUB ->ZIP conversion, and do the ZIP->CBZ rename in a .BAT or Powershell script. See ==>> Command Line Interface

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2021, 08:40 PM   #3
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
I did a thread search before posting this, and I see alot of articles on converting CBZ -> EPUB, but nothing on the reverse.

My use-case is that I have a bunch of digital comics I purchased from a vendor (we'll call them "Rainforest") and then stripped the DRM to get an EPUB. I'd prefer to just have them as generic CBR/CBZ files, though, so that I can leverage the dedicated comic-book reader apps on my tablet.

I've found that I can manually make a CBZ file from a comic source EPUB by just yanking the "Images" directory out of the extracted EPUB, zipping it up, and renaming it to a .CBZ extension. This is trivial to do, but quite time-consuming.

Has anyone created a plugin/conversion option that would let me do this within Calibre? I am sure this might result in some missing metadata, but I did try googling around, and as far as I'm aware there is no established "standard" for CBR/CBZ files for metadata files, etc. It looks like it's literally just a Zip Archive or RAR Archive of images, with the first chronologically-named image serving as the comic's cover.

If I'm wrong on this front, I'd appreciate any info about the CBR/CBZ standard.
Play around with Embed Comic Metadata.
I have no idea if it does what you want, but it can do things that are not implied by either the name, or description.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote