Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-26-2024, 08:10 AM   #1
rldBud
rldBud began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Perseus
Question Boox M92 Perseus problem. Screen blurred. Please help. Pictures inside.

I've been using this tablet for 11 years and haven't had any problems. Then this problem appeared after I charged the tab in my kitchen, where I got an old electric stove, fridge, and a washing machine, maybe it's somehow related to this glitch. After roughly 2 weeks the problem disappeared and screen became sharp again. But then I turned on the tablet in my kitchen and this problem appeared again, even the worse then the first time. Pictures are from the first time, this time the blurr is somewhat stronger.

Picture 1: Image is blurred when opened by the tablet.
Picture 2: The same image isn't blurred when it is set and displayed as a turning-on wallpaper image.
Picture 3: Right lower corner in shifted.
Picture 4: No artifacts on the screen when the tablet is turned off.
Picture 5: Battery isn't bloated and everything seems ok on the inside.

How to fix it? Thanks to responders.
rldBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 11:42 AM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Wow, nice photos of the gizzards.

The eink display is losing sync somewhere.
There's a 1% chance that removing the flex for the eink, cleaning it lightly and reseating it might help.

Power off the device.
It's the bottom left orange flex PCB (obviously).
The black bail should flip up easily with a tug of your fingernail.
Clean the flex lightly with a paper towel and a bit of 91% isopropyl alcohol.
Make/let it dry, make sure that it's dust-free, reseat and reset the bail.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2024, 10:30 PM   #3
rldBud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
The eink display is losing sync somewhere.
There's a 1% chance that removing the flex for the eink, cleaning it lightly and reseating it might help.
Hmm... Why it isn't losing sync while turning on? The picture is sharp during the booting process.
I'll try your solution though. But it's just 1%. What about other 99%?
Old 06-27-2024, 05:54 AM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldBud View Post
What about other 99%?
A good chunk could be flakey connection on a BGA connection on an IC.
There are last measures for that, but we're not there yet.
Has this been getting worse?
Old 06-27-2024, 10:08 PM   #5
rldBud

I cleaned this flex with 65% ethanol (didn't have 91% isopropyl) and the glitch has gone. But then I the attached the back lid and the glitch is back. Then I removed the lid, not even turning off the tablet, and the glitch went away again.
So there is a glitch with the lid on and no glitch with the back lid removed. It's incredible! What could be wrong? It functioned well for a decade with this lid on.
Under the spoiler are pics of the back lid from the internet, mine is exactly the same.
Spoiler:

Maybe the element on the second photo got magnetized from electromagnetism from appliances in my kitchen and that's the problem?

Last edited by rldBud; 06-27-2024 at 10:11 PM.
Advert
Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM   #6
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldBud View Post
Maybe the element on the second photo got magnetized from electromagnetism from appliances in my kitchen and that's the problem?
Well, we know the problem is on the hairy edge and probably the phase of the moon affects it.
I don't know what the weird thing on the back cover is.
Is that a place for a stand or a fingerprint reader?

If there is a bad connection any additional capacitance will have a bad effect.
When you turn it on it is always clean, then it gets bad?
Throw it in the freezer for five minutes, does it get better?

I know what I'd try, but there are risks with that too.