Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old Today, 05:02 AM   #1
Nirmal Alcinous
Nirmal Alcinous began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Navigating E-Readers: How Accurate Are Qibla Direction Features on E-Ink Devices?

I've been exploring various e-readers recently, particularly for their ability to integrate different tools and apps. One feature that caught my attention is the Qibla direction finder, which can be particularly useful for Muslims who want to determine the direction of prayer while on the go. However, I'm curious about the accuracy and reliability of these features on e-ink devices compared to smartphones or dedicated navigation tools.

When using an e-reader with a built-in or downloadable Qibla direction feature, I noticed that the accuracy sometimes varies depending on the model or brand of the device. This got me wondering about a few things. How do these devices determine the Qibla direction? Are they relying on the same type of sensors and algorithms as smartphones, or are there limitations due to the e-ink technology and the hardware typically used in e-readers?

Moreover, I’ve also observed that the accuracy can fluctuate based on location. For example, when using the feature indoors versus outdoors, or in densely populated urban areas versus open spaces, the direction given for qibla direction from my location now"اتجاه القبلة من موقعي الآن" can sometimes be slightly off. I'm also interested in understanding whether these variations are more pronounced on e-readers compared to other devices.

Additionally, has anyone found that the use of certain apps or e-reader models provides a more accurate Qibla direction? For instance, do specific brands or apps offer better calibration or a more user-friendly interface that ensures you’re getting the correct direction? Also, how do these tools compare in terms of battery consumption, given that e-readers are generally designed for low power usage?

I’m particularly keen on hearing from users who have experience with both e-readers and other navigational tools. Your insights could really help in determining whether it’s practical to rely on an e-reader for such a function, or if it’s better to stick with more traditional devices or apps designed specifically for navigation. How has your experience been with this feature, and do you have any tips or recommendations for improving its accuracy on e-readers?
Nirmal Alcinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:23 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Not all eReaders will have a compass and GPS, which would be essential for indicating the direction for prayer. Even for those that do, I think it unlikely that the device makers have paid much attention to ensuring that the components have sufficient precision and accuracy for the job you're asking them to do.

Mobile phones and dedicated location devices are likely to be much more accurate.

But I have no practical experience in this area. Perhaps others do.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
e-readers, navigation, qibla direction