Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2023, 09:56 AM   #1
ChooChoo
ChooChoo began at the beginning.

Device: Nova Air
Kobo Reading Stats

I have been considering buying a Kobo reader and wondered about reading stats. Currently I use a Boox Nova Air with Koreader and I like the reading stats Koreader provides, like calendar view. Does Kobo provide reading stats as detailed as Koreader?

I know I can use Koreader on a Kobo but I don't like managing my books with a folder structure. Are there any 3rd party options for reading stats? is it possible to manage my books with Kobos system and open the book in Koreader from that view?

I would just like to know what your thoughts on reading stats are for kobo? Its not a huge deal for me but its fun to look back and see how much I've read.
ChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 12:51 AM   #2
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocketbook, kobo aura h2o, kobo forma, kobo libra color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChoo View Post
I have been considering buying a Kobo reader and wondered about reading stats.
Reading status on the kobo is pretty primitive.
It keeps track of how long you've been reading and how long your average reading session is and pages per minute or something, but that's about it.

It keeps total statistics and statistics per book, but it doesn't have a convenient interface to easily view these, and if you remove the book from the device, I think the book stats are lost. It does keep track of how many books and hours you've read (since last factory reset anyway--stats are lost if your database is corrupted).

If you use a third party reader, likely none of the stats will be updated by the third party reader. (I'm not even sure that would be possible.)

You can manage books with kobo's system, but koreader won't use the kobo shelves (it will see only folders) and likely can't read DRM books the kobo downloads.

For kepub books, the kobo tries to predict how much time you have left in the book, chapter, and how long it will take to read the next chapter. I haven't checked how accurate those stats are, but they don't seem too far off. (Do they adjust for my reading speed? idunno.) I enjoy this feature quite a bit.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2023, 10:55 AM   #3
ChooChoo
ChooChoo began at the beginning.

Device: Nova Air
Thanks for your reply. That is unfortunate to hear about the book stats. I do remove DRM on all my books and manage my library with Calibre. Maybe one day they will add a more robust stat display. Its not a deal breaker but it's nice to look at once and while.
ChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 06:13 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use The Storygraph to keep track of your books. They have quite good stats.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote