Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 05:19 AM   #1
whalesong
whalesong began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Menu Options/Volume - Ghost in the Machine?

Hello, everyone. If this issue has been talked about before, forgive me and link me over.

For the past week, my 900 has been haunted. The Options menu and volume indicator have been randomly (or not so randomly) doing their own thing. The Options menu will pop open, I'll close it. This may happen 4 - 5 times before it settles down. The volume indicator is also showing up, going to full volume, muting, etc. at the same time as the Options menu popping up. It seems to only happen when the Notes header is open in an active book but I only just noticed that yesterday and can't confirm if that is true or just a coincidence right now. It will happen in the book lists, as well. It's killing my battery of course but I'm not too worried about that. What that tells me is that it is happening when the book is not being handled (holding the case too tight?, stuck buttons? loose wiring being moved around?). I've been putting the book to sleep now when I am not actively reading, for what that is worth.

I'm past my warranty period so I have no problems opening the unit, if I need to, to take a look at that corner on the inside, if it might be a wiring/button issue but I have no idea how to do this safely. And if it is an issue on the inside, how would I even know unless it's something blatantly obvious? Are there photos anywhere of what it should look like? Or is it possible that a firmware redo may fix it?

And that brings me to another problem. I run Ubuntu on both of my computers and haven't yet come across anyone saying they've updated firmware without windows/mac. Am I missing something there, as well?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I don't use the music function on my reader so I don't know if the volume button is really one of the problems or not. Can anyone tell me if the up/down sides behave exactly the same? Do you hear or feel a slight click when you turn up the volume as when you turn down the volume?

Last edited by whalesong; 02-19-2011 at 07:56 AM.
whalesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
I have heard of random things happening when a bit of grit or something similar becomes lodged between the frame and touchscreen. Maybe running an index card around the edges to clear things out is worth a try. Not sure this explains the volume changes as I cannot find a touch screen option for adjusting it.

The volume button on the edge of my 900 has a distinct click that can only be felt and not heard, and that click is the same for both + and -.

I guess it could be signs of bad circuits, but I hope this isn't the case for you.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert