Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Today, 03:14 AM   #1
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3, Kobo Libra 2
Pricing on Amazon, difficulties having a free ebook

So, a years ago I made an ebook of a public domain story that I hadn't seen available, and I threw things up in most of the normal places. Because it was public domain, I set things to be free. The problem is, on Amazon the book is no longer listed as free, and I cannot figure out how to change it back to be free. Any time I set the price back to 0, it complains and wants it to be at least 99 cents USD, plus in the help I am seeing "Note: You can't set your book's list price as free."

Is there any way to have this as free on Amazon again? I really hate that it somehow is no longer free, as I don't feel that it is right that it is being sold. I did my part to help preserve it, and to help give back to the community.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:32 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
So, a years ago I made an ebook of a public domain story that I hadn't seen available, and I threw things up in most of the normal places. Because it was public domain, I set things to be free. The problem is, on Amazon the book is no longer listed as free, and I cannot figure out how to change it back to be free. Any time I set the price back to 0, it complains and wants it to be at least 99 cents USD, plus in the help I am seeing "Note: You can't set your book's list price as free."

Is there any way to have this as free on Amazon again? I really hate that it somehow is no longer free, as I don't feel that it is right that it is being sold. I did my part to help preserve it, and to help give back to the community.
Amazon do not allow a book's price to be set as Free. But if they find that is is available for free elsewhere, they will mark its price as free themselves. You could try reporting it as found free elsewhere from the book's Amazon page, assuming it is still available elsewhere as free.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 05:25 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Amazon do not allow a book's price to be set as Free. But if they find that is is available for free elsewhere, they will mark its price as free themselves. You could try reporting it as found free elsewhere from the book's Amazon page, assuming it is still available elsewhere as free.
They now seem to ignore price reports and randomly price 99c as free or 99c by marketplace when free elsewhere.

You can set free on Google Playstore Playbooks and Smashwords/Draft2Digital, who distribute to Kobo, Apple, Barnes&Noble and others at "free".

You also now see a different price depending on if you are logged in and which Marketplace the Kindle is registered. Many marketplaces now no longer show me any Kindle price when Logged in.

There is also the separate issue that really you should be setting price to retailer and the retailer then should pay that no matter what price they charge. The way MS store, Apple store and Google Playstore and KDP (Amazon ebooks or paper) works is illegal in many countries for "bricks and mortar" stores/retailers.

At under $100 p.a. you can have a good domain name and decent hosting with SSL (for HTTPS) and offer free ebooks like Global Grey and Standard ebooks do.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:47 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
No, there is no sensible way to have it definitely free on Amazon.

We've been thinking of putting free (our copyright) and PD ebooks we've formatted on https://www.corvidspress.com/ but we do have them on Apple, Barnes&Noble, Kobo (via Smashwords) and Google Playstore (via Playbooks). We use the same epub for Amazon, Smashwords and Google and additionally use a Calibre "Dual Mobi" which seems to work fine on Mobi only Kindles as well as all later kindles that do AZW3, or AZW3 and KFX.

You could host free PD ebooks on your own site at under $100 pa, or maybe we should start doing it?

We did long ago operate shopping sites for ebooks and electronics components using Paypal, but it's too much hassle and security issues doing retail.

PM me if you want to discuss PD publishing further. We have maybe 100+ Celtic and Norse PD texts we have cleaned up that we want to offer free, and it's not feasible on Amazon.

There is also a PD library here. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=132

Unfortunately Project Gutenberg (the world's biggest PD library) has their own Lowest Common Denominator concept of Formatting, the opposite to https://standardebooks.org/ebooks so they are unsuitable except for plain proofed text that don't aready have.
See https://www.gutenberg.org/help/publi...ubmission.html
They do have some sort of system for contemporary works offered free
https://www.gutenberg.org/help/submi..._own_work.html
Why they want plain text for PD and PDF for free self-published is a bit mad. There is a logic to plain text, but none to PDF. PDF is a end-format for print and useless as source or for ereaders.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote