Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-10-2022, 10:56 AM   #1
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Resizing images in bulk?

Is there a way to resize images in bulk via the editor?

I have an EPUB file with many large "cover" images - I want to resize all of those images, but not others.

ATM, my options appear to be:
1) Export all images, resize, then import.
2) Click each image, then click the resize tool.
3) Convert from EPUB to another format, then back to EPUB, with the preference to resize images.

Am I missing something, or is it not available ATM?
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:05 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the unpack book tool (preferences->toolbars and add it to your main toolbar)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2022, 11:17 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
or just type 'U'

I used to use the bulk resize feature of Paintshop Pro 4 (dated myself )
Then you just repack (the tool is still open),

You may need to edit the stylesheet if it also sets sizes
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:53 AM   #4
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, that's similar to my option 1. I managed it, but it still required some work.

Is there a way to run an epub -> epub conversion to make use of that automatic image resize feature?
Old 01-12-2022, 09:20 AM   #5
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
You can 'effectively' resize (1) all, (2) some, or (3) individual images via CSS.

If you put a command in stylesheet.css all of the images will show up at 50%.
img {width: 50% ; float: left ; margin-right: .5em ; }

Alternately, this same command wrapped in <style></style> at the beginning of an html segment will act only on images in that html segment.

Alternately, you can command a single image to be half size by inserting this command inside of the image tag inside of quotes: style="in here"

This does not change the aspect ratio, just the size shown. Nor does it trim the images.

Best regards, Pop
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2022, 09:32 AM   #6
salty-horse
Wizard

I don't think CSS "resizing" is relevant here (and requires more work to edit the text files). The issue is the file sizes. My ebook reader refuses to display large images, and works fine when I resize the dimensions of the files. And I'd much rather store a 2MB ebook than a 30MB.

Last edited by salty-horse; 01-12-2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:54 PM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Have you already tried Polish book > Lossless compress images?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:04 PM   #8
salty-horse
Wizard

Compressing the images reduces the size of the large cover images by half, but I suspect they're still too large for my ebook reader (haven't tried).

I still need to resize their dimensions manually.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:11 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Have you looked at the Resize Cover plugin? I've used that with ModifyEpub to resize the cover image and then embed it in the epubs in calibre.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:27 PM   #10
salty-horse
Wizard

From what I'm reading about that plugin it looks like it only handles the cover image of the ePub.

The ebooks I'm dealing with (Tor.com short story collections) have a "cover image" before each story. It's not a "cover image" as the epub terminology defines it.

Anyway, I completed the process manually for the ebooks I currently have by unpacking, resizing, and repacking the files with the "Unpack book" feature.