Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 09-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #1
WHY
Enthusiast
WHY began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sync the highlights of back to server after internet is connected

Is it possible to sync the highlights of the downloaded book made during the offline period back to the sever after reconnecting to the internet again later on.

Last edited by WHY; 09-17-2021 at 02:14 PM.
WHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You are making the highlights in what?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #3
WHY
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You are making the highlights in what?
Sorry for the typo.
I read books with browser on the phone with calibre content server via local ip, everything work and sync well including highlights. Once a book is read in this way, it will show in the downloaded book list. Then ,say, I go outside without internet and want to continue reading that book. I open the downloaded book, make some highlights and then close it. After I get home with internet connection, I found the highlights made during the offline period won't sync back to the library. They are just gone
Old 09-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

right click or log tap in the viewer and use the sync button.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #5
WHY
Enthusiast

Quote:
right click or log tap in the viewer and use the sync button.
Yes, Sync button does work when you are connected to the content server. But, What I found is that before you are able connect back to content server again, those highlights I created in the downloaded book offline seems not always save correctly? Sometimes if I open the downloaded book again before connecting to server, those not sync yet Highlights just disappear.
Advert
Old 09-18-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

they are stored in your browsers indexeddb storge. if they are not persisting that means that was cleared. To be safe you should leave it open till you have a chance to sync.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:11 PM   #7
WHY
Enthusiast

Quote:
they are stored in your browsers indexeddb storge. if they are not persisting that means that was cleared. To be safe you should leave it open till you have a chance to sync.
Got it, thank you, Kovid. However, is it possible to have a "save" option to avoid the risk of loss of highlights before the chance of sync is available?

Last edited by WHY; 09-18-2021 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:51 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's certainly possible but its a fair bit of work, maybe someday.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:28 AM   #9
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHY View Post
Got it, thank you, Kovid. However, is it possible to have a "save" option to avoid the risk of loss of highlights before the chance of sync is available?
If you're reading on an Android device, I think you should try the app Fully Browser. It has an cache mode that lets you read the downloaded books on Calibre Content Server even when the server is down or when your phone s on Airplane mode. It will sync when you are back on line.

I use it on my Onyx Boox Poke 3. And I can call it a Calibre Eink Reader. It even boots right into Calibre Content Server interface.

Last edited by nqk; 09-21-2021 at 06:31 AM.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #10
WHY
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
If you're reading on an Android device, I think you should try the app Fully Browser. It has an cache mode that lets you read the downloaded books on Calibre Content Server even when the server is down or when your phone s on Airplane mode. It will sync when you are back on line.

I use it on my Onyx Boox Poke 3. And I can call it a Calibre Eink Reader. It even boots right into Calibre Content Server interface.
Thank you for the information. I tried it and it works well with cache mode enabled as you mentioned except for the sync of highlights. When I re-open the downloaded book, the highlights I created after the previous sync will disappear before I can sync again. Does that happen to you too with Fully Browser?
Old 09-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #11
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHY View Post
Thank you for the information. I tried it and it works well with cache mode enabled as you mentioned except for the sync of highlights. When I re-open the downloaded book, the highlights I created after the previous sync will disappear before I can sync again. Does that happen to you too with Fully Browser?
Better use the "Use Cache even if expired". It works for me, if I don't switch books or swipe off Fully.

Last edited by nqk; 09-26-2021 at 11:47 AM.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote