Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 04-22-2020, 07:42 AM   #1
MrJamesEMcBride
Enthusiast
MrJamesEMcBride began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung GalaxyTab S6 Lite
Win 10 Run server without main program running?

Hello,
I am very sorry for asking if this is covered elsewhere, but I didnt see it. How would I run the content server on Win10 without having the main program running? Is that possible?

Also, does it really matter?

My main concern is if I want to play games and thus free up system resources so that they run well while the server is running.

Thanks for the help!
--Jim
MrJamesEMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:54 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There wont be a significant difference in resource usage. Just enable the system tray icon and minimize to tray. However if you really want to good for how to run calibre-server.exe as a system service, I believe a few people have done that on windows.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2020, 04:42 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have a variant of the same question. Is it possible to run the server from CLI against one library and run the calibre GUI independently of the server against another library? It seems the answer is no, but I thought to ask, just in case.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:59 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, it isn't
Old 11-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #5
luciaisacat
Enthusiast
luciaisacat began at the beginning.

Device: android
Hi! On a similar topic (and sorry if my question has been already answered elsewhere): is it possible to remotely restart the Calibre Server (or the Calibre main program) on Win 10 (e.g. via batch file)? My home library run on a Win 10 old laptop which I can update remotely from my Win 10 main laptop, however after the update is finished I need the Calibre server to reload its list of books... how to do that?
Thanks!

lucia
luciaisacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2021, 01:08 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

use whatever remote management features your operating system offers to do it. though you dont need to restart the server to re generate the list of books, provided you add/remove books using the server and not some other mechanism.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:53 PM   #7
luciaisacat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
use whatever remote management features your operating system offers to do it. though you dont need to restart the server to re generate the list of books, provided you add/remove books using the server and not some other mechanism.
Thanks Kovid! For the books update of the server, I sync the Calibre Library folder of my main computer with the one of the laptop acting as the library server. Therefore, I suppose, either the Calibre server or the main Calibre program on the server laptop should be restarted in order to get a new list of books. My question is whether exists a Win10 Calibre command to do it (e.g. calibre -restart OR calibre-server -restart)?

lucia
Old 11-06-2021, 10:06 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre --shutdown-running-calibre
Old 11-07-2021, 06:27 AM   #9
luciaisacat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre --shutdown-running-calibre
Thanks! (now you mentioned it, I found it is on the manual, sorry for asking about well documented topics).