Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Thumbs up PDF2Epub giveaway

Just for those that haven't seen it yet. There is a give away on mydigitallife of PDF2EPUB, here is the link:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2011/0...ense-key-code/

You'll need to fill in you email address but I have noticed that you'll get the code in the next page and it will be mailed to the email address given. So strictly speaking it is not needed.

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Have you tried converting PDFs with it? How well does it work?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
uhkp
uhkp began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Have you tried converting PDFs with it? How well does it work?

eP
Downloaded it some time ago. Epub is not the only option you get. You can also convert to html and mobi.

I only tried html. It's better than most converters out in the wild.

It's a 6 step experience.

1. Import the pdf file.

2. Select the area which you want to have extracted from all pages.
This selection can only be made for the whole book, not per page.
But I love this feature, nothing worth than sidenumbers and similiar information through ahtml document.

3. Fix characters in extracted text.
I had no problems with the recognition, but that might depend on the font type. Every glyph that is found is shown with it's corresponding character and you can change any errors you find.
(BTW a, a and a are different glyphs and come with format information on extraction)

4. Rule sets
Haven't played with this one yet. Stuck to the standard.

5. Rules again, you can change the rule set you choose in 4, maybe change the language etc.

6. Convert

The outcome is an html file images and direct internal formatting. That's what bothers me most, I'm not a fan of /br and  

But the html file provides the same look as the pdf and I found no major problems with it. You don't have a picture behind each side and a complete html file, not multiple ones.
I figure I always can use a script to change the formatting of the html file to my preferences.

Checked the epub out of curiosity. Same procedure as for the html file, but you can add an front and back cover.

While looking through the result I found a few pagebreaks inside the chapters that left half the page empty, and a few formatting errors (center instead of right on some lines).

It's not the answer to all questions, but a pretty decent tool if you can't or don't want to read pdf's on your reader. And I prefered the result to calibre.

You can keep all errors you find in this text - english is not my first language.
uhkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Very good report, thanks uhkp! Does it have line breaks at the end of every line?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Thank you!
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
uhkp
uhkp began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Very good report, thanks uhkp! Does it have line breaks at the end of every line?

eP
Yes, linebreaks at the end of every line. Sorry, I forgot to mention.
uhkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #7
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhkp View Post
Yes, linebreaks at the end of every line. Sorry, I forgot to mention.
Thats weird since I converted a couple of rather technical pdf's and didn't have problems using the epub on my Sony 505. As far as I can see there are no linebreaks at the end of every line.

And yes it does work better then the Calibre conversion of pdf to epub. I had a pdf with graphics in it and around those pictures they had added a border also as picture and then overlayed them. Looks nice in the PDF and also in the version done by PDF2EPUB but Calibre missed the overlay bit so I ended up with text followed by the border picture and then followed by the picture itself

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
For a full discussion of this, please go here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=56767&page=2

and here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=113371

It's gotten some very negative reviews. Perhaps your experience will be different.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-06-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:26 AM   #9
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Wow, just tried it now, and it did an awesome job with a tough conversion. I like that you can edit individual characters in the file. Using other converters like Calibre was giving me results with interspersed capital and lowercase letters, and this seems to have fixed that.

Thanks a million, JvdW. I'll be making good use of this!
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote