Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
mystery of the disappearing text?

... ok not poof it's gone but more like it's graying away.

well, i seem to be running across this problem quite often these days. here's what happens: i click on the "next button", the page changes but some times, there are a couple of lines in the text i'm reading that appear to be not as black as the rest of the text.

most of the time, if i press "back" and then return to the page, the situation goes back to normal. with one book several chunks of the text looked like this and they didn't go back to "normal".

initially i thought i was seeing things (you know the reading too much syndrome), then i thought it had to be .prc font, maybe an error during conversion but now this has just occurred with an book i bought from amazon as well.

has anyone had the same problem?

thanks for any advice!
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have not seen this but I believe I would be talking to Amazon CS. Also what firmware version is your kindle using.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've seen similar where a couple of lines get light. I can always make it go away with Alt + G screen refresh. it doesn't occur very often, but it is noticeable when it does. I understand this when the previous viewed page has a dark graphic, but it often occurs when the previous viewed page contains only text. There must be a glitch in the firmware.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Yeah Ive had this too, usually when I open a book up, it fades where the previous menu was for the book, its along the same line as the previous book title, a refresh or page forward/back brings it back.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:29 AM   #5
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the firmware is the 3.0.1 version, which i have to say has worked wonderfully so far (minus this little glitch), no more crashes, no slo-mo kindle.

i did a re-check with the text that _wouldn't_ go back to its dark self after refreshed, i went back to the ODT, making sure i the text colour was "automatic" in (brown had been previously selected and i suspect parts of the text were brown whilst otehrs were the standard "automatic"). i converted to .PRC and loaded it on my K3.
the text is uniform now.

phew!
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Mine did the odd bits of light text last night when the battery was low. It's much better this morning after an overnight battery charge, and the pages are turning quicker as well. It had slowed down page turning noticeably when the battery got low and I was reading connected to the charger.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:38 AM   #7
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I had this happen too. A full restart fixed it.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
wurzel
wurzel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I also have noticed this effect and have found it occurs where dark areas are replaced by text. Probably a refresh phenomenon associated with the current demands on the battery, especially when the battery is running down. I reckon that this effect adds to the realism of the sort of print fade we see on many paperbacks?
wurzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
I also have noticed this effect and have found it occurs where dark areas are replaced by text. Probably a refresh phenomenon associated with the current demands on the battery, especially when the battery is running down.
It is because it isn't doing a complete reset of the screen between pages to speed it up. It would need to do an extra full black to white transition or refresh twice.

They could fix it but people would probably complain about the slightly longer page transitions.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
the firmware is the 3.0.1 version, which i have to say has worked wonderfully so far (minus this little glitch), no more crashes, no slo-mo kindle.

i did a re-check with the text that _wouldn't_ go back to its dark self after refreshed, i went back to the ODT, making sure i the text colour was "automatic" in (brown had been previously selected and i suspect parts of the text were brown whilst otehrs were the standard "automatic"). i converted to .PRC and loaded it on my K3.
the text is uniform now.

phew!
I have 3.0.1 also. It looks like your problem was related to the text color in the book. I should have thought about that as I've encountered that before too. Anytime there are blue hyperlinks they display lighter than black text. I bought one book where the publisher had messed up some of the hyperlinks by not adding an end tag and the result was dozens of pages of light text that was underlined. I had to go into the book and make the corrections.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?

well, the problem of fading in an original, uncoverted book bought from amazon remains...
it either didn't happen in the beginning or i only recently noticed it but now i see it on a daily basis and i fear the screen is going bye-bye.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Do you see it on the Kindle user guide? That should be the same for everybody so easier to do a comparison.

How much of a difference in colour are you seeing?
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
well, the problem of fading in an original, uncoverted book bought from amazon remains...
it either didn't happen in the beginning or i only recently noticed it but now i see it on a daily basis and i fear the screen is going bye-bye.
A few questions:

Is this occurring in just one book and in only specific locations within that book?

Is this fading consistently occurring in multiple books and at the same position on the eInk screen?

Does a screen refresh (Alt + G) help?

Does changing font style or size make any difference?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #14
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?

it's not a constant thing, that's my problem. it's not a specific area, either, which is why i originally thought i was seeing things.

evidently now that i'm hunting for it to appear in the User Guide it won't show

the grey is similar to that in hyperlinks.

when it happens again i'll try to snap a picture but i'm not sure whether it will be crystal with my 2 megapixel phone camera.

as i'm writing this i've been browsing the guide but nothing's amiss. it's as if it knows i'm taking it to the dentist
Old 09-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #15
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
When it happened to me, it occurred in every book I tried. So nothing to do with the book at all.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote