Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM   #1
Graham44
Graham44 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite signature edition
Why cant Amazon categorise books better?

I know its probably down to the Authors/ publishers, and probably lots of them wack on as many categories as possible to a book, but I find it really, really annoying when browsing a category to find loads of unrelated books being listed in it.

A lot of times I wont have a particular book in mind for my next read but I will have an idea what genre I want, so I will look that genre up on Amazon only to be met by loads of entries that have nothing to do with that category.

Here's a few of the books listed when I was searching for a new horror book to read -

SJ Parris - Treachery, a very good book that I've actually read, but definitely not horror!
Dan Brown the lost Symbol - again certainly wouldnt class this as horror??
The Lord of the rings

Does anyone else find this and do you find it as annoying as I do?

Does anyone know of an effective way of searching Amazon? Or do you perhaps use something like good reads to find your next book then look it up on Amazon?
Graham44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
If you think other stores give a bit better results, you can search there, then do a general web search on exact titles and authors and an amazon page for the book will probably come up. Same for searching non-store sites.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM   #3
Graham44
Graham44 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
If you think other stores give a bit better results, you can search there, then do a general web search on exact titles and authors and an amazon page for the book will probably come up. Same for searching non-store sites.
That might be an idea. Though it's mainly a problem when I don't know what I want but just want to browse a genre, perhaps Amazon are just a victim of their own success and their stores becoming a bit unwieldy
Graham44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #4
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham44 View Post
That might be an idea. Though it's mainly a problem when I don't know what I want but just want to browse a genre, perhaps Amazon are just a victim of their own success and their stores becoming a bit unwieldy
Most probably. And a huge chunk of it is because of one of your original points.
Publishers will list any and every genre available just to increase the marketing of their books.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote