Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Advice for the Summer

Yesterday, in an Italian paper on the Cultural section, I found this advice on how to choose the books to carry along for the summer. The author imagines someone that goes around in the the bookstore picking up a book here and there and wondering if it is worth reading it or not. With "all these novelties and classics that every day increase."

The method to choose a book. Take the first words in the book, take the last, put them together in a phrase. And if the phrase that comes out makes some sense, it means that the book has some value.

The article lists a number of examples. Italians and not, among which The Red and the Black by Stendhal, The old man and the sea (the old men fished lions). Proust, Daniel Defoe, F.S Fitzgerald.

I just made a quick check and those are my findings.

Sophie's World by Jostein Gardner
Sophie Amundsen was on her way home "We'll both go, Dad"

The inimitable Jeeves
"Morning Jeeves," I said.
"Very good, sir," said Jeeves

To have and have not
You know how it is against the stream

More die of heartbreak Saul Bellow
last year was not remote enough

Travels with Charley Steinbeck
when i was home again

white teeth Zadie Smith
Early in the morning, thought Archie.

The Complete Polysillabic Spree Nick Hornby
So this is good to have it back

The shipping news Annie Proulx
Here is an account without pain or misery.

What am I doing here Chatwin
What am I doing on this advice

St. Urbain's Horseman Richler
Sometimes Jack, an ordinary, decent man.

Goodbye Columbus Roth
The first time I was back in plenty of time for work.

Wait until Spring, Bandini John Fante
He came along, a small star-shaped snowflake.

Will you please be quiet. Please? Carver
I felt moving over him.

H.M.S. Ulysses Alistair Maclean
Slowly, deliberately, Starr limped out into the sunshine.

Funny. I am picking up books and verifying that it works. I will stop now to list examples, but I saw that it works with Triplanetary also. Practically with every book I pick up.
I do not need this as I have ebooks galore for the Summer, but to buy a gift it might come handy.

Last edited by beppe; 07-26-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Adding Will you please be quiet. Please?
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
That sounds a silly idea. It's something that comes down to chance. And how would one judge what is meaningful. While it's grammatically correct, I don't think the following sentence has much meaning:
"When Mr. Bilbo of Bag End announced, 'Well I'm back,' he said."

Also, I would think that such books as De Gesta Danorum, Howards End, and Berlin Stories "have value" - but in neither case does the method work very well.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
That sounds a silly idea. It's something that comes down to chance. And how would one judge what is meaningful. While it's grammatically correct, I don't think the following sentence has much meaning:
"When Mr. Bilbo of Bag End announced, 'Well I'm back,' he said."

Also, I would think that such books as De Gesta Danorum, Howards End, and Berlin Stories "have value" - but in neither case does the method work very well.
It is a very silly idea. Chance, the hidden path of destiny. I tried it with Gibbon, no success. But...

Your sentence makes some sense, Excellent book, not only for a Summer read.

Thank you Ea. Let's see if some one finds more.

But this is so silly that I might ask to one of the powerful moderators to move this to the lounge.

Last edited by beppe; 07-26-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried Thomas Mann's Magic Mountain(?) in danish translation - it made a very nice sentence. But Karen Blixen's Ehrengard just didn't work at all, and neither Mrs. Dalloway and a few more (Stormland by Halgrímur Helgason and Nordkraft by Jakob Ejersbo). Perhaps it works better in Italian?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I'd be afraid of reading some spoiler in the last few words.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I'd be afraid of reading some spoiler in the last few words.
Exactly, that is why it is nice to shop books with a friend.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I tried Thomas Mann's Magic Mountain(?) in danish translation - it made a very nice sentence. But Karen Blixen's Ehrengard just didn't work at all, and neither Mrs. Dalloway and a few more (Stormland by Halgrímur Helgason and Nordkraft by Jakob Ejersbo). Perhaps it works better in Italian?
I have not checked personally in Italian yet. But my list in English is there.

This I find marvelous

More die of heartbreak Saul Bellow
last year was not remote enough

and this
Goodbye Columbus Roth
The first time I was back in plenty of time for work.

I had a good time picking up old pbooks in different state of dusting, to check the silliness of it all.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post

I had a good time picking up old pbooks in different state of dusting, to check the silliness of it all.
When I - a bit hastily - checked books, it struck me how naturally I chose to check p-books. It just is that much simpler still to grab a p-book and look up the beginning and end.

I just checked a couple other danish classics (by St. St. Blicher and Johannes V. Jensen) - still.... Not really. Should we choose to abide by the italian professor, we can conclude that danish literature is not worth much at all Not even the most eminent nobel prize winner J. V. Jensen
Old 07-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
When I - a bit hastily - checked books, it struck me how naturally I chose to check p-books. It just is that much simpler still to grab a p-book and look up the beginning and end.

I just checked a couple other danish classics (by St. St. Blicher and Johannes V. Jensen) - still.... Not really. Should we choose to abide by the italian professor, we can conclude that danish literature is not worth much at all Not even the most eminent nobel prize winner J. V. Jensen
Well, he is not a professor but a writer doubling as journalist. and it is not his idea but of one of his friends.
Of Danish authors I know Andersen and Blixen, (plus the ones you told me once that i have not read yet, thanks to Stefano Dedalo, that I have on ebook) who wrote out of Africa in English, but I cannot find the book. I remember it is red Penguin, but who knows where is it. I got the idea, that you Ea, being a Scandinavian lady look for a perfect fit.

Look, I can't find them.

But I got A Jonathan Livingston in Italian. Hold yourself:

It was early morning: he had started to learn
Old 07-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Well, he is not a professor but a writer doubling as journalist. and it is not his idea but of one of his friends.
Of Danish authors I know Andersen and Blixen, (plus the ones you told me once that i have not read yet, thanks to Stefano Dedalo, that I have on ebook) who wrote out of Africa in English, but I cannot find the book. I remember it is red Penguin, but who knows where is it. I got the idea, that you Ea, being a Scandinavian lady look for a perfect fit.

Look, I can't find them.
A red penguin? But you did find a seagull. Wouldn't that do?

Wasn't it something from the Icelandic sagas? Egils' Saga. Or it was Völuspa. I can 't really remember.

Quote:
But I got A Jonathan Livingston in Italian. Hold yourself:

It was early morning: he had started to learn
From Thomas Mann, Magic Mountain (my translation from danish):

"A quite normal young man put the rainy evening sky on fire?"

It sounds like poetry.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
A red penguin? But you did find a seagull. Wouldn't that do?

Wasn't it something from the Icelandic sagas? Egils' Saga. Or it was Völuspa. I can 't really remember.

From Thomas Mann, Magic Mountain (my translation from danish):

"A quite normal young man put the rainy evening sky on fire?"

It sounds like poetry.
One, slightly off axis, might use it as a signature
Old 07-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Here I am!

Miss me?

I missed me!
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
Ea
Wizard

Hi! have you tried if it works with books you own? Not all of them obviously but a few you might find "worthy" for the test...
Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
The Jewel of the Seven Stars by Bram Stoker
"It all seemed so real that I could hardly imagine that it had ever occurred before; it was merciful I was spared the pain of hoping."

The Pet by Charles L. Grant
"A cool night in late September, he whispered 'Where are you?' to the prowling shapes out there, darker than shadow and waiting for his call"
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #15
Ea
Wizard

Very good choices. Very interesting results!

Perhaps the aim of this thread could be to find the most curious/appropriate/poetical sentences.