Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
2 Devices With 32GB Storage But...

I have 2 Kobo devices with 32GB onboard storage (no SD card), a Kobo Aura One LE and a Kobo Forma. I have exactly the same books loaded on both devices, both using the kepub format (6,557 books). Additionally, both devices are running the same FW (4.23.15548) and the exact same patches. Finally, the database file (koboreader.squlite) on each device is basically the same size (804MB).

However, the remaining device storage is wildly different between the 2 devices. The Forma shows 17.6GB remaining, but the Aura One LE shows 19.3GB remaining.

Any idea why there's a significant difference in remaining storage for these devices?

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #2
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Your Forma may have had more updates than your Aura, and this may have lead to unnecessary files left in the rootfs partition during updates.
I say that just because it's the only possible cause I can see... Is it true? Well, I don't know, but what I know is that during updates, the KoboRoot.tgz is extracted to the rootfs partition, without completely wiping the previous update, just replacing old files by new files if there's an update.

Hope you'll resolve your problem!
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yesterday I was poking around and noticed that I have a lot of empty author folders on my kobo. I wouldn't think that empty folders would take up much space but what do I know.

An interesting experiment would be to do a factory reset (Settings -> Device Information) on the Forma and then reload the books. The firmware will stay the same.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
A WAG, maybe different size image thumbnails?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #5
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Yesterday I was poking around and noticed that I have a lot of empty author folders on my kobo. I wouldn't think that empty folders would take up much space but what do I know.

An interesting experiment would be to do a factory reset (Settings -> Device Information) on the Forma and then reload the books. The firmware will stay the same.
I did just recently factory reset my Forma after a hiccup with updating the prior FW, and that reload resulted in exactly the same onboard storage remaining after the reset. This reload was only 10 days ago, so I'm thinking it's not that...
Advert
Old 08-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
A WAG, maybe different size image thumbnails?
How would that happen? I'm using the same files during the Calibre sideload to both devices.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
How would that happen? I'm using the same files during the Calibre sideload to both devices.
By default, thumbnails are generated as you scroll through the library.
geek1011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Try looking at the size of the .kobo and ,kobo-images directories on both devices.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #9
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Try looking at the size of the .kobo and ,kobo-images directories on both devices.
Kobo Forma
.kobo is 794MB
.kobo-images is 2.4GB

Kobo Aura ONE LE
.kobo is 797MB
.kobo-images is 682MB

I guess the .kobo-images folder is where the issue lies. Does this have to do with the apparent fact that I have scrolled less through the library on my Aura ONE LE than that done on the Forma?
Old 08-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Kobo Forma
.kobo is 794MB
.kobo-images is 2.4GB

Kobo Aura ONE LE
.kobo is 797MB
.kobo-images is 682MB

I guess the .kobo-images folder is where the issue lies. Does this have to do with the apparent fact that I have scrolled less through the library on my Aura ONE LE than that done on the Forma?
Yes. If you want, you can pregenerate covers with covergen (part of kepubify), then possibly use something like jpegoptim to reduce the size further.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:15 AM   #11
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Kobo Forma
.kobo is 794MB
.kobo-images is 2.4GB

Kobo Aura ONE LE
.kobo is 797MB
.kobo-images is 682MB

I scrolled through every page of My Books to load all the thumbnails on my Aura ONE LE, and results are -

Kobo Aura ONE LE
.kobo is 797MB
.kobo-images is 1.9GB
Free space - 18.1GB
Old 08-23-2020, 03:52 PM   #12
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Forma is more high end so I am guessing there is more to its software than we are aware of
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:53 PM   #13
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Forma is more high end so I am guessing there is more to its software than we are aware of
No, there isn't.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:37 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
The resolution of the Forma is higher. The full screen cover image is larger than the on the Aura ONE (either edition). That would account for the difference.

From memory, Kobo have put other images in the .kobo-images directory at times. These have been different for different devices. I don't know if there is anything at this point.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #15
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The resolution of the Forma is higher. The full screen cover image is larger than the on the Aura ONE (either edition). That would account for the difference.
Thanks.

One other weird/interesting observation between these 2 devices - on the Forma, every single book on my device had the image already loaded (i.e., it didn't have any generic placeholder covers that had to be updated with the loaded image). However, on the Aura ONE LE, when scrolling through My Books, images were not automatically available if that book's author/collection/series/book had not previously been viewed.