Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM   #1
booksies
booksies began at the beginning.

Device: iOS, Kindle PWSE
Kindle for Mac v1.40.1 no longer supported

Signed onto my Mac (OS Sequoia 15), and now I get this message on the Kindle app (v1.40.1, as recommended previously to work with Calibre)

This app is no longer supported. To view this content, a new and improved Kindle for Mac is now available to download from the Mac App Store.

Your books and collections:
Once you download and sign in to the new app, all Kindle books you bought from Amazon will be immediately accessible.
If you are on the latest release (1.40.1 or higher) your collections will be transferred automatically.
If you are not on the latest release, please follow the steps here.

Your personal documents:
Your personal documents need to be imported using Send to Kindle to read them in the new app.

Download:
Click here or visit the Mac App Store to download and install the new version. Alternatively, you can access the Kindle for Web experience here.

New to this process (Sept 2024!), so still navigating. Any recs on alternatives or tentative estimate on how long it might be before a resolution is found is appreciated.
booksies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Does the app actually work despite this message?

Not supported does not always mean not usable.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 01:15 AM   #3
booksies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Does the app actually work despite this message?

Not supported does not always mean not usable.

No longer works - my default on Amazon is "deliver to Mac" and prior to 10/3, my books would automatically pop into the folder for me to drop and drag into Calibre. At least I got the entire back catalog done, but as I get new books, I'm gonna have to figure out what to do.

I managed to DL to transfer but now trying to see what to do when I get the pop up "cannot convert". I know I saw a thread on that before, so just need to find it again.
Old Today, 01:55 AM   #4
booksies

Quote:
Originally Posted by booksies View Post
No longer works - my default on Amazon is "deliver to Mac" and prior to 10/3, my books would automatically pop into the folder for me to drop and drag into Calibre. At least I got the entire back catalog done, but as I get new books, I'm gonna have to figure out what to do.

I managed to DL to transfer but now trying to see what to do when I get the pop up "cannot convert". I know I saw a thread on that before, so just need to find it again.

Interestingly, I was able to convert to ePub after entering my serial number into the deDRM plugin, but when I went to polish, it said it couldn't and that the book was DRM protected. But I could open the book in Calibre
Old Today, 02:24 AM   #5
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Signed onto my Mac (OS Sequoia 15), and now I get this message on the Kindle app (v1.40.1, as recommended previously to work with Calibre)

This app is no longer supported. To view this content, a new and improved Kindle for Mac is now available to download from the Mac App Store.

New to this process (Sept 2024!), so still navigating. Any recs on alternatives or tentative estimate on how long it might be before a resolution is found is appreciated.
Ouch. This is most unfortunate. I am still on Sonoma but am planning to update to Sequoia in the next few months.

I am doubtful there will be a way to liberate ebooks using the latest Kindle for Mac 7.x, which makes Download and transfer via USB the primary solution for Mac users who want to stay up-to-date OS-wise.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 04:35 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Interestingly, I was able to convert to ePub after entering my serial number into the deDRM plugin, but when I went to polish, it said it couldn't and that the book was DRM protected. But I could open the book in Calibre
You'll need to re-import the book. While both conversion and the viewer work with the deDRM plugin, the original file presumably still has DRM, as DRM is actually removed while importing.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:44 PM   #7
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I just tested K4Mac 1.40.1 on Sonoma, and I get the same message on Sonoma when trying to download ebooks as booksies does on Sequoia. So this is not a Sequoia problem. Basically, it seems Amazon has killed K4Mac 1.40.1, books will no longer download and Mac users are told to download v7.x from the Mac App Store. I've started a discussion on the main Dealing with Kindle ebooks in calibre thread. Perhaps we can continue this discussion there?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote