Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
Will $0.99 ebooks make library loans less needed?

With the increasing availability of cheap ebooks that can be bought for as low as $0.99, will library loans still be needed, at least for new titles?

Patrons who loan a limited number of titles per year might find it more convenient and a better value to buy the same books online rather than loan them. The costs of visiting libraries in person, such as gas or public transportations and time, may be comparable or higher than those of cheap ebooks.
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
It probably won't have much of an effect, with the notable exception of PD books. Books aren't fungible, and people who want to check out Diane Setterfield or Tom Clancy or Jodi Picoult from the library won't settle for some other book simply because it's 99c.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
bookscanning.co
bookscanning.co began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroso View Post
With the increasing availability of cheap ebooks that can be bought for as low as $0.99, will library loans still be needed, at least for new titles?

Patrons who loan a limited number of titles per year might find it more convenient and a better value to buy the same books online rather than loan them. The costs of visiting libraries in person, such as gas or public transportations and time, may be comparable or higher than those of cheap ebooks.
It depends on what you're looking for ... newer books will not be available as a 99 cent e-book, maybe you can find books that are in the public domain for this price.

Timo
bookscanning.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Ultimately most readers choose what to read based on content. I think very few people decide on their next book by asking "What's cheap?" At least not if they place value on their own time. If the book they happen to be interested in is offered for .99, great.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I read based on what's free. I don't buy books.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I feel the same way about food and shelter. Dumpsters are a good source of both.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I feel the same way about food and shelter. Dumpsters are a good source of both.
Why waste money on books when equally good free ones exist?
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
OtterBooks
Wizard

Quote:
Because one good book is not the same as another. I was just goofing around, not mocking the idea of free books. There's definitely a wealth of excellent free literature out there, of course. However, I won't pass up a book with a certain theme/style/idea that I find particularly appealing at the time, just because it costs.

Steinbeck being the equal of Cormac McCarthy doesn't mean I'm gonna pass up the experience of Blood Meridian just because I came across a free copy of East of Eden. I recently read King Solomon's Mines. It was free. But I read it because I wanted to read King Solomon's Mines. Had it been a few bucks it would have been worth every penny.

There's a lot of excellent new authors, writing excellent new things that interest me. Besides, if people only read what was free, many of those free books wouldn't have been published to begin with.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
I've been mostly disappointed in free offers. The classics are fine, but I'm not always in the mood for those. Most of the stuff given away from modern authors is not very good. I have yet to read one of these free first book in a series and feel I had found a new series to read.

My good source for free books is the library, but I wonder how much longer that one is going to last. I've actually bought my first book in a long time from Amazon. They have some really hard to find books from Prometheus for $10 and reading a quality book is worth $10 especially when most of them are out of print and cost 3 times that much on paper. These are of course topaz format that Amazon scans themselves, but I'm finding the first book from James Randi to be well scanned and enjoyable to read.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
In the last 100 years the Publishing industry has had no other choice but to sit back and endure the Library system. There was little they could do to stop it because once they sold a book it was beyond their control. They also soon realised that having to physically visit a Library repeatedly was a natural barrier to Library use that, combined with some other limitations, restricted Library reading to a bearable level for their commercial interests.

And that is not to deny the value of libraries in promoting reading and hence purchasing. But let's face it, if Library use had exploded to, say, 75% of the population at some time in the middle of last century ... could the Publishing industry have survived ?

What about the future ? No physical restrictions. No social stigma. What can be done to create a usage model where the business model does not collapse ?

What is a reader's motivation to buy as opposed to borrow ?

If everyone starts borrowing how can publishers and editors and writers make money ?
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
What about the future ? No physical restrictions. No social stigma. What can be done to create a usage model where the business model does not collapse ?

What is a reader's motivation to buy as opposed to borrow ?

If everyone starts borrowing how can publishers and editors and writers make money ?
Publishers will become marketers, they will join with editors and writers in small autonomous collectives and create quality books.
http://thinkcursor.com/

Once a decent system is put into place for routing our monies into the hands of the creators where it belongs, a national campaign to raise the new awareness will be started.

How have books affected you? Celebrity endorsements.

You can share but please be fair, support your local writer.

etc, etc,

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
People tend to get books from the library because they want to read those books. The only way $0.99 ebooks will reduce the need for library loans is if they make the same books people would otherwise borrow available at $0.99.

I don't care how many books are available elsewhere for $0.99 - none of those other books is going to slake my desire to read the next Honor Harrington book when it comes out.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
One of the reasons I haven't bought as many books is because Amazon (and other sites) offer so many good free books. Couple that with library books and I have a very big but virtual TBR pile.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
If you have a chance, go to the library and borrow a copy of Daniel Ariely's Predictably Irrational.

In it, he offers numerous examples of how attaching any price whatsoever -- even 99¢ -- radically alters behavior. In short: "Free" generally gets treated like a social service or good. Assigning any dollar amount instantly changes it to an economic relationship.

Libraries also do more than just hand out books, of course. They have a separate value as a social space for a community.

So despite the fact that $1 ebooks abound, chances are slim that this would truly replace the function of libraries.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote