Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 03-28-2003, 03:06 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Arrow New Avantgo Beta (again)

On Avantgo's Beta Page you can download the latest Beta (currently 5.2 build 65) which finally supports hi-res display.

The new beta includes:
  • Added support for Sony's Virtual Silkscreen for full-screen browsing on Sony devices
  • New look for a few UI elements such as home and back buttons
  • Further refined the operation of the Palm 5-way navigator and Sony jog dial
  • Palm OS 5 high resolution mode is now supported
  • Some performance improvements have been made for launching the application when content has been synced to a to memory card
  • Bug fixes

My question is if it isn't already too late for AvantGo. I personally don't see a reason for switching back.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:20 PM   #2
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Re: New Avantgo Beta (again)

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
My question is if it isn't already too late for AvantGo. I personally don't see a reason for switching back.
Well, since the upgrades leave us 4.x users in the cold, yeah...no reason to go back.

Read with some interest about the new WiFi memory stick coming out third quarter...until I read the part about only for OS5! Seems silly to cut off a huge market with 4.x users, especially since the OS5 Sony units already take the Sony WiFi CF unit.

Poo. "It's a conspiracy, man," to make us all upgrade to OS5-happy hardware (like that's a suprise...)
Advert
Old 07-02-2003, 12:26 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Seems Avantgo V5.2 is now "final".

Quote:
We are removing the beta designation from client version 5.2 build 83 (released 5/14/03). Existing users will notice larger font sizes and images on the home page as of the above date. These enhancements are server based and do not require an updated client.
Get it from here:
http://my.avantgo.com/downloads/5.2/...ntConsumer.exe
Old 07-02-2003, 07:30 PM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Re: Re: New Avantgo Beta (again)

Quote:
Originally posted by gvtexas
Well, since the upgrades leave us 4.x users in the cold, yeah...no reason to go back.

Read with some interest about the new WiFi memory stick coming out third quarter...until I read the part about only for OS5! Seems silly to cut off a huge market with 4.x users, especially since the OS5 Sony units already take the Sony WiFi CF unit.

Poo. "It's a conspiracy, man," to make us all upgrade to OS5-happy hardware (like that's a suprise...)
I must admit, I'm pretty dirty about this as well. As a T615 owner (which is not all that old, either) I feel we're being left out in the cold. I certainly don't plan on upgrading any time soon (more for financial reasons than choice; that and a wife who still shakes her head at that "silly obssession" ), so it would be nice to see some support for those of us not carrying the state of the art...

Craig.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:08 PM   #5
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Re: Re: Re: New Avantgo Beta (again)

Quote:
As a T615 owner (which is not all that old, either) I feel we're being left out in the cold. I certainly don't plan on upgrading any time soon...
For a while now I've read all the upgrade notices I get from the PDA developers for my reg. software, and I'm getting kinda tired of *only* seeing improvements as "os5 bug this" or "nx/nz fix that"...rarely is there ever any improvements/enhancements to pre-OS5 users...I would be suprised if the post-OS4 sales were even remotely close to the base of pre-os5 users...guess they figure that everyone upgrades sooner than later...

Cheers,
Gary
Advert
Old 07-03-2003, 12:39 AM   #6
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
It reminds me of the PC game industry, where they push their products for the small majority with the state of the art video card, m'board, memory etc, even though that represents a very small proportion of potential customers.

Hey, maybe we should try a poll to see just how many people are using pre-OS5 devices, and are planning to upgrade anytime soon. I know I'd like to see the results, and the breakup of forum users.

Regards,
Craig.