Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
WabbitSeason
WabbitSeason began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Takuzu (Binary Sudoku) for Kobo devices!

How to install
  1. Make sure you have KoboLauncher installed
  2. Download takuzu_alpha.zip and extract its contents to the .kobo/KoboLauncher folder on your device
  3. Add the following line to kobo_launcher.ini:
    Code:
    Takuzu   = takuzu.sh
  4. You should now be able to start Takuzu from your launcher menu !
Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	takuzu1.jpg
Views:	1860
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	113771Click image for larger version

Name:	takuzu2.jpg
Views:	1244
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	113772Click image for larger version

Name:	takuzu3.jpg
Views:	1402
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	113773

Explanation
After experiencing Sudoku on my Kobo Glo, I craved for more puzzle goodness. So I decided to program some myself . Takuzu has been one of my favorite Sudoku alternatives for a while, and now I've managed to bring it to Kobo devices! Enjoy unlimited puzzles in seven levels of difficulty and play on 10x10 or 12x12 grids. Tested and works on the Kobo Glo, Touch and Mini. It should work on the Aura as well; if you own one, please let me know if it does!

All feedback and suggestions are welcome! This is the first alpha version, with the following changelog:
Spoiler:
First alpha version
  • You can now play generated puzzles of multiple difficulties
  • The squares now scale with your display resolution
  • The game congratulates you when you solve the puzzle correctly
  • The game saves your progress when you quit
  • BUG FIXED: Touching the screen left or right of the playfield triggers unexpected cell changes

For those interested in how I programmed this and/or wanting to compile it for themselves, the source can be downloaded as well: takuzu_alpha_src.zip. Patches welcome; in particular I'm not happy about the DRYness of the checkSolution() method. C++ wizards more than welcome to step in .

Last edited by WabbitSeason; 10-21-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Included test results from sergeyvl12 and Mike76
WabbitSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
WabbitSeason, Thanks!

I'll try it out tomorrow!
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
WabbitSeason

Cool! On second thought, please don't send any patches yet. I've been rehauling the code a lot today, and got halfway implementing loading puzzles from files, so any patch will probably cause me more work than it'll save . Still, I'd very much like to hear if the posted version works on devices other than the Glo!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
WabbitSeason

New version released! Go get it in the first post! And note that patches are welcome again .

Changelog:
  • BUG FIXED: Touching the screen left or right of the playfield triggers unexpected cell changes

@sergeyvl12: did you manage to test the program? Did it run on the Touch?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WabbitSeason View Post
New version released! Go get it in the first post! And note that patches are welcome again .

Changelog:

@sergeyvl12: did you manage to test the program? Did it run on the Touch?
Thanks! Started and works with my touch.

I'll play with it a few days ...

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 10-21-2013 at 08:50 AM.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
It works fine on Kobo Mini (fw 2.6.2). Thanks!

Last edited by Mike76; 10-21-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
WabbitSeason

Thanks for the test results! I've updated the first post to include them .
Old 01-19-2021, 05:47 PM   #8
tikky
tikky began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 1st gen, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS-T2
This Thread ist very old, but I found your game yesterday and I want to thank you for sharing it! Takuzu works perfectly on the Kobo H2O and I like it very much!
tikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:34 AM   #9
WabbitSeason

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikky View Post
This Thread ist very old, but I found your game yesterday and I want to thank you for sharing it! Takuzu works perfectly on the Kobo H2O and I like it very much!
Hey, thanks! That was a nice surprise to get in my inbox
Old 06-24-2024, 02:13 PM   #10
Lisanne
Lisanne began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Since KoboLauncher is dead, is there any other way to play Takuzu? I've tried the following NickelMenu configuration, but with no success:

menu_item :main :Takuzu :cmd_output :5000 :.kobo/takuzu_alpha/takuzu.sh

It says "could not run process: process exited with status 127 (src/action_cc.cc:889)". The directory takuzu_alpha has execution rights. I hope you're seeing this message, as I'd love to play the game!
Lisanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 02:30 PM   #11
Lisanne
Lisanne began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Using cmd_spawn does result in a success message, but nothing shows up afterwards.
Lisanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 11:39 AM   #12
WabbitSeason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanne View Post
Since KoboLauncher is dead, is there any other way to play Takuzu? I've tried the following NickelMenu configuration, but with no success:

menu_item :main :Takuzu :cmd_output :5000 :.kobo/takuzu_alpha/takuzu.sh

It says "could not run process: process exited with status 127 (src/action_cc.cc:889)". The directory takuzu_alpha has execution rights. I hope you're seeing this message, as I'd love to play the game!
Hey, thanks for your interest in this old project of mine ! If memory serves, the game executable is dynamically linked to the QT libraries included with KoboLauncher, so I don't expect the game will work without it. Getting it to work without KoboLauncher would probably involve compiling a new executable from source, possibly after some modifications

Not sure if I'll be able to do so myself, as life is happening™ in some interesting ways here currently, but the source code is available in the first post, so if anyone wants to have a crack at it, they have my blessing!