Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
remember the last page for Newspaper Direct?

I love reading newspapers from Newspaper Direct on the Irex, however, I have one big problem. As soon as I switch away from the newspaper file the Irex loses its last position. Quite often I want to go to notes and jot down something, or I don't have time to finish the newspaper in the morning and use the reader for something else before I get back to the paper later. Everytime the newspaper reopens on the first page.

I tried using the 800+ package (highly recommended!) and the paper will appear as a tab while it is displayed, but if I switch tabs the newspaper closes automatically -- presumably because of low memory?

Is there a solution for this or is this inherent in the Newspaper Direct file format?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
not really. The newspaper application cannot run in the background, because it will keep using processor time. The only way is to get Newspaper direct to update their application that is included in the DR800 firmware. iRex is not the developer of this application, so a request towards Newspaper Direct would be better I guess.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 03:21 AM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
not really. The newspaper application cannot run in the background, because it will keep using processor time. The only way is to get Newspaper direct to update their application that is included in the DR800 firmware. iRex is not the developer of this application, so a request towards Newspaper Direct would be better I guess.
That is what I was afraid off. Doesn't hurt to ask, but I guess given the current situation Newpaper Direct will not be very keen on spending a lot of time updating their app for the Irex.

One question, the app isn't updating or anything, what is it using processor time for when you are not using it?
Old 08-10-2010, 03:38 AM   #4
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
beats me... I just know the battery drains faster with Pressreader active. So in order to save power, the DR1000/800 has to shut it down to save power, when you switch to a different document.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:13 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
beats me... I just know the battery drains faster with Pressreader active. So in order to save power, the DR1000/800 has to shut it down to save power, when you switch to a different document.
I would have thought that the battery appears to drain faster with Pressreader active for two reasons:

1.)My reader never shuts down, by itself, when I have the app open. But I always turn it off manually, and, subjectively, do not experience shorter battery life then. In that case the reader also does come back to the page I was on last, at the zoom level I was using.

2.)While using the Pressreader app I constantly use the touch screen to zoom in or out, call up an article, pan, or go to another page. That, of course, tends to use the battery relatively fast. If I read a full paper from beginning to end every day I can go 5-6 days at most on one charge. Though I read almost every article. A good paper
Advert