Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-19-2024, 12:02 PM   #1
makimesser15
makimesser15 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Output choice for conversion not functional

After the last two Calibre updates, I can no longer set DOCX as a permanent output choice. Calibre seems to be stuck on epub as an output. I can change the output type in the window after selecting the book and selecting Convert Books. In the first window that appears I can switch to DOCX as output before clicking OK but cannot seem to change it in the input/output window under preferences. Any ideas on how to circumvent this. I'm running Sequoia and using Calibre 7.18. The problem existed under the previous MacOS as well. The problem seemed to start after the Calibre update. Thanks for any information.
makimesser15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 12:17 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You change the default output format under Preferences->Behavior.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2024, 04:46 PM   #3
makimesser15

I have tried to do that. As my post states, I cannot get Calibre to shift from epub output. When I select docx, the "apply" button does not light up. I used to able to do this, but not know. I think Calibre is great, but wish I could make the output format change permanent. Thanks
Old 09-21-2024, 06:32 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by makimesser15 View Post
After the last two Calibre updates, I can no longer set DOCX as a permanent output choice. Calibre seems to be stuck on epub as an output. I can change the output type in the window after selecting the book and selecting Convert Books. In the first window that appears I can switch to DOCX as output before clicking OK but cannot seem to change it in the input/output window under preferences. Any ideas on how to circumvent this. I'm running Sequoia and using Calibre 7.18. The problem existed under the previous MacOS as well. The problem seemed to start after the Calibre update. Thanks for any information.
Works on Windows:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-22 081958.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	210941

So it's either a MacOS 'thing', which I doubt, or you're looking in the wrong place… "input/output window under preferences", which window is that ?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2024, 09:22 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to look under PREFERENCES->BEHAVIOR not PREFERENCES->INPUT/OUTPUT
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2024, 03:10 PM   #6
makimesser15

Under Preferences I select the Conversion option, which then offers inport and export options. I select output, and find epub selected, with a blue arrowhead. I can select docx, but the apply button in the lower right corner doesn't light up, and selecting it does nothing. It may well be a but from the Mac OS, but it occurred after a Calibre update. I haven't tried deleting the Calibre preferences in the Library and reinstalling Calibre, but that is the next thing I'm going to try. Great program, with curious quirk at this time.
Old 09-23-2024, 04:08 PM   #7
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
you might want to check what you have on this tweak: (preferences -> tweaks)

Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2024-09-23, 17_25_16.png
Views:	14
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	210968

Last edited by Comfy.n; 09-23-2024 at 04:25 PM.
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 05:23 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by makimesser15 View Post
Under Preferences I select the Conversion option, which then offers inport and export options. I select output, and find epub selected, with a blue arrowhead. I can select docx, but the apply button in the lower right corner doesn't light up, and selecting it does nothing. It may well be a but from the Mac OS, but it occurred after a Calibre update. I haven't tried deleting the Calibre preferences in the Library and reinstalling Calibre, but that is the next thing I'm going to try. Great program, with curious quirk at this time.
You have been told twice by Kovid Goyal, the creator of calibre, and once by me that the Preferred output format: setting is in Preferences->Interface->Behavior… and this is its tool tip:

Quote:
The default output format for e-book conversions.

When auto-converting to send to a device this can be overridden by individual device preferences. These can be changed by right clicking the device icon in calibre and choosing "Configure".
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion output.