Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
cbedgar
cbedgar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle App on MacBook & iPhone
Finding and saving the publication dates for my edition AND the first edition

While configuring the "Metadata download" preferences, I noticed the option to "Use publication date of first edition (from worldcat.org)". Nice! But I want to save both that date and the date of my edition. Hmm.

So I created a custom column with heading "First Published" and lookup name "first_pubdate". My intent was to get the date for the first edition, by loading metadata with the checkmark set. Then copy the date from {pubdate} to {#first_pubdate}, and finally, get the real pubdate for my edition.

The problem is that I can not just download metadata for the pubdate. Either I get all the metadata, or nothing. Also, worldcat.org is not even a "source", so I can not configure it in any way. I could click on the ISBN or OCLC tag in the Details view, and manually look up the date of earliest edition on worldcat.org, but that is too tedious. And lame.

Any suggestions? Tools, scripts, plugins? Some hidden setting? Or some minor mod of the python code? (I know perl, C, and bash, well sort of bash, but not python. Maybe I could figure it out, but...) Please help.
cbedgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
cbedgar
cbedgar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle App on MacBook & iPhone
Old thread may be relevant

After writing this, I found this thread: Correct publication dates or at least an "edition" option. It seems this is harder than I thought. Still the other thread is five years old, so maybe things have changed...
cbedgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbedgar View Post
After writing this, I found this thread: Correct publication dates or at least an "edition" option. It seems this is harder than I thought. Still the other thread is five years old, so maybe things have changed...
ISBN links to a specific edition.
Opening the book, and looking at the Copyright page is probably one of the best ways. Copyright date usually applies to the story. Publication date to the edition Reprints of an edition are usually indicated by the remaining digits
near the bottom 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote