Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
highstream
Enthusiast
highstream began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
calibre update leads to Windows problems?

Yesterday, after installing 0.9.43 (64 bit), closing open programs (browser, file mgr), I chose the button to restart my computer - Win 8x64. During the close, I got the light blue screen of Windows having trouble, which seemed to hang there forever. The error text had to do with Nonexecute memory (have 16gb ram). So I forced a shutdown and rebooted. The result was some corrupted settings in at least one of the utilities I run, Mailwasher Pro. A system restore didn't fix it. This is at least the second time this has happened over the months in rebooting after a calibre update, but it's never happened with any other program that I recall - and I do a fair amount of warm rebooting. Not sure what to make of it.
highstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That is strange as Calibre does not really change anything at the System level, and is self-contained in terms of software components it uses that are not part of any standard Windows system. I strongly suspect it is something outside Calibre causing the issue you describe, or you have a pending hardware issue.

You might want to consider trying Calibre portable as that does not install anything at the Windows/system level.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre stores its settings deep in your user folder
and I don't think that gets updated IF you already have/had Calibre on your system.

I also suspect a system (or program) problem.

You did get the update from the OFFICIAL (or alternate) Location ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm puzzled that you even need to restart Windows after installing/updating Calibre.

The only time I have to restart is after some Windows updates, and major upgrades to my multi-monitor manager software. Do you have to restart windows when updating other programs e.g browsers, media players, image editors etc. If you do then something has gone awry with your system.

BTW I use Mailwasher Pro, it and Calibre coexist with no interference.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'm puzzled that you even need to restart Windows after installing/updating Calibre.

The only time I have to restart is after some Windows updates, and major upgrades to my multi-monitor manager software. Do you have to restart windows when updating other programs e.g browsers, media players, image editors etc. If you do then something has gone awry with your system.
Good point - I have never had a Calibre install give you an option to restart Windows that I can remember
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #6
ewy
Connoisseur
ewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
I experienced a restart when installing updates while calibre was still active. Probably some files need to be replaced which are in use, so that's being done after a reboot.
Once I noticed that behaviour, I just got used to closing calibre bevor starting the update - I didn't need any (calibre related) reboot since that.

Regards,
Christian
ewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewy View Post
I experienced a restart when installing updates while calibre was still active. Probably some files need to be replaced which are in use, so that's being done after a reboot.
Once I noticed that behaviour, I just got used to closing calibre bevor starting the update - I didn't need any (calibre related) reboot since that.

Regards,
Christian
Another good point
Old 08-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I just downloaded the latest beta of the New DB Backender

I decided to see what happened if I installed it when Calibre was running.

I got the message in attachment - I shutdown calibre myself and made sure via task manager then clicked OK, the install then reported it was shutting things down, and carried on as per usual to the end of the install

Looks fairly solid to me, someone else might like to test the "Do not close... reboot..." option.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	109334  
Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I just downloaded the latest beta of the New DB Backender

I decided to see what happened if I installed it when Calibre was running.

I got the message in attachment
Kudos to Kovid.

I ran into this warning yesterday installing calibre portable. I wonder how long has this warning been part of the install process?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Kudos to Kovid.

I ran into this warning yesterday installing calibre portable. I wonder how long has this warning been part of the install process?
It has always been there. Indeed for the msi installer it comes as part of windows, the calibre msi installer is simply a list of files, all the actual logic of installation is done by the microsoft installer service.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It has always been there. Indeed for the msi installer it comes as part of windows, the calibre msi installer is simply a list of files, all the actual logic of installation is done by the microsoft installer service.
This was the first time I recalled seeing this message so I guess it has been years (if ever) since I tried installing with an existing version of calibre running. Thanks for the response.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote