Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #1
BillCalibre
BillCalibre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Edit Metadata on iPad, then sync edits to Calibre "master"?

Hello. I've just purchased this app in the hopes of being able to use my iPad to clean up or update my metadata, then send it up to Calibre on my home server, closing a large gap in my workflow, which is basically...
  • Use iPad to download book or report (mostly PDF)
  • Send it to GoodReader app to read, maybe annotate, and/or upload - from GoodReader - to a folder ("Calibre Inbox") on that server
  • Use (awkward) Remote Desktop client app to have Calibre import docs/ebooks from that folder into library
  • Continue using that awkward iPad app to edit metadata
  • Use iPad Safari browser or Marvin app (and always-on Calibre server) to browse/filter/search, then download and "open-in" GoodReader app

I'm still exploring your app and so far I already seem to be able to do what I've discovered so far using my workflow above (connect, find book, etc). So my 2 questions are:

1. Can I edit and clean up my (initially synced from Calibre to your app) metadata (tags, publication date, author, etc) from the iPad and have it synced back to my "master" Calibre library on the server? and

2. Is there documentation (other than the FAQ) where I can get a clear sense of what this app does, see a list of features and learn how to use them?

Thank you

Bill

PS: I have been hoping for a Calibre 'companion' app for awhile as I live on my iPad, so thanks for doing this
BillCalibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:17 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCalibre View Post
Hello. I've just purchased this app in the hopes of being able to use my iPad to clean up or update my metadata, then send it up to Calibre on my home server, closing a large gap in my workflow, which is basically...
  • Use iPad to download book or report (mostly PDF)
  • Send it to GoodReader app to read, maybe annotate, and/or upload - from GoodReader - to a folder ("Calibre Inbox") on that server
  • Use (awkward) Remote Desktop client app to have Calibre import docs/ebooks from that folder into library
  • Continue using that awkward iPad app to edit metadata
  • Use iPad Safari browser or Marvin app (and always-on Calibre server) to browse/filter/search, then download and "open-in" GoodReader app

I'm still exploring your app and so far I already seem to be able to do what I've discovered so far using my workflow above (connect, find book, etc). So my 2 questions are:

1. Can I edit and clean up my (initially synced from Calibre to your app) metadata (tags, publication date, author, etc) from the iPad and have it synced back to my "master" Calibre library on the server? and
In general, no. The calibre wireless device driver (which I maintain) does not support updating calibre metadata for a book other than a Read yes/no column and a Date Read column.

On the other hand, CC's wireless device client will automatically update metadata on the device after the calibre metadata is changed via your workflow. That simplifies the last task on your workflow. The content server connection can do the same thing, but not automatically.
Quote:
2. Is there documentation (other than the FAQ) where I can get a clear sense of what this app does, see a list of features and learn how to use them?
Again, in general no. Today I updated the general "What is Calibre Companion" post, but that is not a manual.

Also note that the iOS and Android versions of CC do not provide an identical set of features. One reason is platform differences. Another reason is that the Android app has existed for 5 years, with everything that comes with 5 years of maintenance.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
BillCalibre

Thank you for your reply Charles. I will check out your updated 'What is Calibre Companion?' post to continue learning abour app.

As to being able to edit metadata on the iPad and have it sync back to the master Calibre library file, is this a feature that you would consider adding, or is it technically too challenging?
Old 07-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
BillCalibre

...actually, Charles, I just reread your reply (more carefully this time) and realize that you already answered my follow up question with "The calibre wireless device driver (which I maintain) does not support updating calibre metadata for a book...".

So perhaps I should rephrase to ask you as the wireless device driver maintainer about the probability of that capability being added in the future (or would that violate one of Calibre's design principles?)

Thanks

Bill
Old 07-09-2017, 04:52 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCalibre View Post
...actually, Charles, I just reread your reply (more carefully this time) and realize that you already answered my follow up question with "The calibre wireless device driver (which I maintain) does not support updating calibre metadata for a book...".

So perhaps I should rephrase to ask you as the wireless device driver maintainer about the probability of that capability being added in the future (or would that violate one of Calibre's design principles?)

Thanks

Bill
For a variety of reasons related to complexity, performance, development time, and correctness, adding up-syncing of metadata changes won't happen in the current CC + calibre.

On the other hand, Kovid is looking at how to solve a similar problem with the new content server, permitting metadata changes on a "slave" server and syncing the changes back to a "master" server. Depending on where he goes with the idea (if anywhere) then CC might be able to tag along, but if so then there is a very high probability that the work would happen in Android CC (which I also maintain).

Kovid is also looking at editing metadata via the "master" content server. As before, depending on what he ends up doing, CC might be able to tag along by offering some user interface to talk to the running content server.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
BillCalibre

That's great Charles. Thank you very much for your responses

Cheers
Bill