Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Restrictions on sideloading?

I saw a post on another forum claiming the new Kindle Fire ($49 cheapie one) was restricted from sideloading books. I didn't find anything doing a search. It specifically mentions sideloading from the sd card.

Is it really restricted from sideloading.....I can't imagine that would be true....but....

???
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure that someone here would have said something had that been true .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure that someone here would have said something had that been true .
You'd think. I can't imagine it is true and have said that over there (SFFWorld) and asked for reference as to where he got/heard this.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I got one last week. Sideloading works just fine (Calibre Companion).

Edit: just noticed you mention sd card. Haven't tried that yet, but I'd be surprised. See if I've got a micro sd laying around the house and try it later today.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I'm sure you're right about sideloading working, but perhaps worth noting that Calibre Companion transfers files using a WiFi connection. When people talk about "sideloading", they generally use the word to refer to the process of transferring files via a direct USB connection.
Advert
Old 10-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Perhaps the person saw/was referring to this article?

New $50 Kindle Fire won't recognize sideloaded ebooks on SD cards

Looks like maybe the built in reading app doesn't see books that are on the SD card, but will open them if you browse to them and open with a file explorer.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

Looks like maybe the built in reading app doesn't see books that are on the SD card, but will open them if you browse to them and open with a file explorer.
That sounds more reasonable. ISTR that I couldn't get the Kindle App to recognise books on the SD card of my Onyx T68, either. Some apps support content on external cards, some don't.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:10 AM   #8
kennyc

Quote:

Thanks, will take a look at that....

I wasn't even sure the newer Fire's even had an SD card....guess they do huh?
Old 10-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #9
kennyc

Quote:

Edit: just noticed you mention sd card. Haven't tried that yet, but I'd be surprised. See if I've got a micro sd laying around the house and try it later today.
Thanks! Let me know.

Appreciate it!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's the same behaviour I've seen on my Android tablets. Best solution that I found is to put books in internal storage, music and videos on the external card, both of which work fine from there. Internal storage is fine for books; even a 16GB tablet has enormously more storage than any of the dedicated eInk readers.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #11
kennyc

I don't do videos or music on my K2 or Fire but have never come close to filling up the memory...
Old 10-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #12
kennyc

Here's another article I just ran across:

http://www.teleread.com/amazon/how-t...ternal-memory/
Old 10-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Ok, back... Indeed, this is what's happening. Books on sd card are not where the reading app expects them and can't see them. They **can** be read through CC or from a file browser (I use ES File Explorer) using the Kindle app. Now the bad news is that the reading app doesn't remember where you left off if you leave either CC or file browser. Quick fix is to use a bookmark, which is remembered, and jump to bookmark when you return. I'm not very concerned about it, as the tablet's main memory is plenty for my needs.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Ok, back... Indeed, this is what's happening. Books on sd card are not where the reading app expects them and can't see them. They **can** be read through CC or from a file browser (I use ES File Explorer) using the Kindle app. Now the bad news is that the reading app doesn't remember where you left off if you leave either CC or file browser. Quick fix is to use a bookmark, which is remembered, and jump to bookmark when you return. I'm not very concerned about it, as the tablet's main memory is plenty for my needs.
Interesting. Thanks Jerry!!
Old 10-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Yep - exactly the same as I found on my T68. Just the way the Android Kindle App (and the built-in Fire App) work, I guess.