Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old Today, 11:33 AM   #1
Vercingetorix
Vercingetorix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Problem with "Edit ToC"

I had a problem with a book showing loads of extra, phantom page - so, my reader was identifying the first page as p. 650, or thereabouts.

I then also noticed that the running headers in the book were just the names of the xhtml files in the epub, with extention, so: "Chapter_1.xhtml", for example.

This made me suspect the ToC needed fixing, so I fired up "Edit ToC", and generated a new index.

A couple of things confused me about the interface:

1. The only option for editing the ToC entries seemed to be "Bulk edit" - but when I selected it, with one entry highlighted, only that single entry popped up to be edited. And I had to do them one-by-one, because obviously each chapter name is different. But maybe I was using the wrong option, and there's another option somewhere to edit an entry individually (analogous to the options for editing metadata in the main interface)? Anyway, despite this, everything appeared to work at first.

2. The process then asks for both "Prefix" and "Starting number". I put the names of the chapters - e.g. "1. First Contact" - in the Prefix box, and then, for each chapter, "1" in the Starting number box. I assumed the latter would just ensure each chapter was numbered beginning at 1 in the header - and that is indeed the case. But now the headers are of the form: "1. First Contact1 - 1 of 17" (with the 1 not bolded on screen - just here, to highlight the issue). Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out how to "suppress" the superfluous "1" that now appears alongside each chapter name.

With apologies if the answer is in fact something obvious, I'd be grateful for any tips (I had a look at the manual, but couldn't find the string "Edit ToC" in a search).
Vercingetorix is offline   Reply With Quote