Notices

Old 04-24-2022, 07:05 AM   #1
paperback
Connoisseur
paperback began at the beginning.

Device: None
Insert special character: can't use space key after moving between headings

Linux Mint 20.1 / Calibre 5.38

1. Open the "Insert special character" window and select "Greek extended" (for example).
2. Enter a few characters, then select the "Greek and coptic" heading.
3. Press the space bar.

Expected result: A space should be entered in the text.
Actual result: The dialogue closes (because focus has switched from the text to the "Insert special character" window).

The workaround is to insert the space before you change headings.

Last edited by paperback; 04-24-2022 at 12:33 PM.
paperback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:10 AM   #2
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperback View Post
Linux 20.1 / Calibre 5.38

1. Open the "Insert special character" window and select "Greek extended" (for example).
2. Enter a few characters, then select the "Greek and coptic" heading.
3. Press the space bar.

Expected result: A space should be entered in the text.
Actual result: The dialogue closes (because focus has switched from the text to the "Insert special character" window).

The workaround is to insert the space before you change headings.
I know how few Linux users there are here. So, I followed your instructions and confirm what you're seeing. I can't help in any way, but I can at least confirm it.

Calibre 5.41
Operating System: Fedora Linux 35
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.91.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.16.20-200.fc35.x86_64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 12 × AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2022, 11:31 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Doesnt replicate for me, clicking on the category names transfers focus to the search bar in the dialog, as expected.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:45 PM   #4
paperback
Connoisseur
paperback began at the beginning.

Device: None
Curious. I can't duplicate the original error consistently; it seems to depend on a certain sequence of actions. But there is a wider issue.

When you start using the special character dialog you can mix characters entered from the keyboard with special characters entered using a mouse. But when you click on a different category name, keyboard entry is disabled until you enter a special character.

Last edited by paperback; 04-24-2022 at 03:07 PM.
paperback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:06 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I don't use that method on Linux except for prime and double prime.
I use the Compose Key and I have a table for Compose G and Compose g for Greek, but I can't use Compose Key in the Editor Search/Replace lines. I have to use it in a text window elsewhere and then copy/paste to either line. I use it for these as well as Greek
– — … ° © ü ø etc
The AltGr works OK: ð Ð þ Þ € ³ ł Ł etc
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2022, 08:34 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperback View Post

When you start using the special character dialog you can mix characters entered from the keyboard with special characters entered using a mouse. But when you click on a different category name, keyboard entry is disabled until you enter a special character.
Cant replicate that either. clicking on characters also moves the focus to the search bar.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:35 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This is likely caused by X11 vs wayland. wayland doesnt allow applications to shift focus between windows themselves, so you will have to do it manually.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:57 PM   #8
lomkiri
Zealot
lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
but I can't use Compose Key in the Editor Search/Replace lines. I have to use it in a text window elsewhere and then copy/paste to either line.
Why not ? Here, I can use either compose or alt-gr without pb in Search/Replace. Really, when the editor opens a pulldown with the search history, I have to escape before to be able to hit compose, alt-gr ou dead keys (accents)
lomkiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:23 PM   #9
lomkiri
Zealot
lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Cant replicate that either. clicking on characters also moves the focus to the search bar.
I can confirm what Paperback said (debian, x11, xfce, focus follows mouse)

When I choose another category of fonts, the keybord focus is still in this windows and doesn't go back to the editor, it is normally on the field "search" of this box (but in fact in the last control I used or selected with tab, it can be the checkbox or the button Close). If I hit a key, it will act on this control. I have to move the mouse on the editor (since here focus follows mouse) to be able to write in the editor or in the search/replace box. Clicking on a symbol also gives back the focus to the editor, as said Paperback.

Another particularity : When "favorites" is selected, the button "Re-arrange favorites" is visible and tab and shift-tab are working as expected. But, when I select another category, this button is invisible and Tab stucks at "Match any word" (but shift-Tab cycles correctly between the Search line, "Match any word" and the button "Close")

Not a big deal anyway, since we have to use the mouse to select the char. And, as Quoth said, under linux, the compose key gives access to a bunch of special char., I never had to use this box.

Last edited by lomkiri; 04-25-2022 at 03:33 PM.
lomkiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:36 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomkiri View Post
Why not ? Here, I can use either compose or alt-gr without pb in Search/Replace. Really, when the editor opens a pulldown with the search history, I have to escape before to be able to hit compose, alt-gr ou dead keys (accents)
Literally I just get the keypresses entered after the compose key. The compose sequences work in everything else,
It's like in the Calibre editor the compose key is ignored.

OR WAS.

I just tested 5.41 in body file and Find and Replace boxes and it's all working 100%
I must add prime and double prime to Compose
ʹ ʺ
I just tried them via insert special character in the Editor Edit Menu and that worked. I changed focus with mouse to Find box to put a <space>.

Likely I was on an earlier version when I last used Compose in Editor.

I use CapsLock as Compose, and hit both Shift keys if I want a CapsLock (either cancels).

Last edited by Quoth; 04-25-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote