Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-14-2021, 10:16 PM   #1
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Firmware 4.28.17925

My Elipsa just updated to this new fw version, bug fixes and stability improvments it says.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:34 AM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Any other information? My replacement Elipsa shows up in two days. I'm curious what they've fixed. Hopefully, they've tracked down what was causing some people database issues with disappearing books, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2021, 06:08 AM   #3
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
I haven't noticed anything different, but any of the issues I have had haven't been reproducible. I had mine hang on me once for example when switching to dark mode, a forced restart fixed that and hasn't happened since. It also forgot my wifi password once, and have had it display a blank page coming out of sleep mode a couple of times, tapping on the screen got the screen to display properly. All these issues happened over the last week or so, I'm on vacation so it is getting a lot of use. I am hoping this update fixes some of these random issues.

jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
dan980
dan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
My Elipsa just updated to this new fw version, bug fixes and stability improvments it says.

Is this update limited to Elipsa only?
dan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I would assume the 4.28 series to be Elipsa only, yeah.

This was fixed .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2021, 11:19 AM   #6
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I turned on the wifi this morning in order that Kobo update my firmware, hoping my "database corrupted" would improve, but no.

After the update, I checked my parameters, connected Elipsa to my PC and to Calibre. I updated all the the metadata, and the modified reading positions since yesterday evening (when I had finished resolving the preceding corrupted DB), checked the DB and saved it, disconnected Elipsa and closed Calibre. But when Elipsa opened the DB was obviously corrupted: no book recognized while the PC saw them all

I decided not to apply the painful process described here.

I disconnected / reconnected from my Kobo account, and instead of suppressing the DB on Elipsa before copying the latest saved DB, I renamed it ...old, and imported the latest DB before suppressing the old.
And I had nothing to do of all the the above process. All the books were there, on the reader and on Calibre. Affiliate, dictionaries and custom dictionaries, screensavers, mywords, parameters were ok.

I hope I won't have to redo it again and again, but as such it is a quick fix.

I also decided to review those PDFs I had reserved for Elipsa because they were impossible to read even on the Forma, beginning with those I called elsewhere bad PDFs. The brother with whom I'm holidaying built for me a sort of script for my Adobe Acrobat pro, and I'm starting to run them trough it. It has the added advantage or reducing their weight: the heaviest, with which I began, dropped from 437 to 275 Mo.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:53 PM   #7
Obscured
Enthusiast
Obscured began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis; Likebook P78; Onyx Boox Note Air 2
I had nearly 160 books on my Elipsa, sorted into collections. After today's update to 4.28.17925...I have 26 books only.
It's absurd and laughable (in a hollow way).
Obscured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #8
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
I had nearly 160 books on my Elipsa, sorted into collections. After today's update to 4.28.17925...I have 26 books only.
Check if they are there when you connect the device to your computer, and as soon as you have database backup you can restore all of them.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:29 PM   #9
koboje
koboje began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra and Elipsa
I feel like writing seems to be a bit more responsive?
koboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:23 PM   #10
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboje View Post
I feel like writing seems to be a bit more responsive?
Yeah? I'm looking forward to that. I know it was laggy for some people, though with all the problems I ran into, a laggy pen wasn't one of them. However, after years of using a stylus and Wacom tablet for creative work, maybe I just don't notice the lag anymore. You can learn to compensate for it. That doesn't mean, however, that I sniff snootily at improvements!
Old 07-15-2021, 07:31 PM   #11
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
That is discouraging. Have you reached out to Kobo? Only by complaining can we bring their attention to it. Several people here have run into database glitches. Mine was so bad, as you probably know, that I got a replacement authorized. It arrives tomorrow, and my defective one is on its way back.

Did the book count correct itself after you repaired the account? That was what I had to do every time I sideloaded books at one point. The sideloading caused my official downloaded books to disappear.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:31 AM   #12
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I would assume the 4.28 series to be Elipsa only, yeah.

This was fixed .
If you don't mind me asking: in a comment on the KOReader github, you mentioned that you're going to return your Elipsa. Have you decided to keep it? Either way, why/why not?

Thanks.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:17 AM   #13
Obscured
Enthusiast
Obscured began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis; Likebook P78; Onyx Boox Note Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post
Check if they are there when you connect the device to your computer, and as soon as you have database backup you can restore all of them.
Thanks very much for that suggestion, it worked. When I connected the Elipsa to my laptop it showed a Kobo folder and automatically reinstalled the missing books when I detached the Elipsa. Strange, so the books were on the device all the time? Just not visible? The annotations are there on the restored books, which is good. However, my notebooks have not been not reinstalled.
Obscured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@pickyaxe: I don't really have a use for it. My main interest in it was not even of the "ooh, shiny new stuff" variety but of the "meh, new stuff I won't be able to deal with without having it in hand" one .

FWIW, I feel like, all in all, it's pretty decent at its main draw: annotating (K)ePubs. Then again, since it's not my use case, I don't have any experience with other devices in the same niche .

(I, err, do not agree with the "the screen is wonderful" comments. Coming from a Forma, my very first reaction upon unboxing was: aaaagggh, 227 dpi, get it away from me! . Then again, it's the best we can currently get @ 10", so, eh', it's fine. Also, mild horizontal color gradient in the frontlight, which I was kind of expecting, so, again, meh'. It's not fantastic, but it does the job. And in case this wasn't clear, after 10 years of dealing with eInk screens, I'm *extremely* sensitive to both DPI and frontlight quirks, so YMMV ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-16-2021 at 03:17 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:22 PM   #15
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Just got my Elipsa and I don't know if it's the Elipsa or Calibre or the Kobo driver, but it really does not want to transfer more than about 100 books at a time. Calibre hangs and I have to reboot the machine to get it going again.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote