Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2024, 12:43 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
"Finished reading?" prompt

For Kobo store books, if I go back to the main menu when the book is over 90% finished, it pops up a dialog asking me if I want to mark it as finished. I'm able to disable it per-book, but is there a patch or something that can blanket-disable this?
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 04:46 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Does the patch to disable all the nag dialogues not cover that particular nag?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2024, 10:23 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'd guess that behavior is due to sample chapters and the like at the end of so many books.

I sideload everything, even my Kobo purchases, so I haven't seen that.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 10:12 AM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
For Kobo store books, if I go back to the main menu when the book is over 90% finished, it pops up a dialog asking me if I want to mark it as finished. I'm able to disable it per-book, but is there a patch or something that can blanket-disable this?

That’s a great question. I find that particular pop up the most annoying, especially when the book isn’t finished yet.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 10:22 AM   #5
bluepeter
Connoisseur
bluepeter began at the beginning.

Device: Clara 2E, Clara BW, Mini, Libra H2O, Paperwhite (10G), Boox Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
That’s a great question. I find that particular pop up the most annoying, especially when the book isn’t finished yet.
I find it annoying even if I have finished the book. Marking it as finished removes it from the home screen, but I want to move it from the Partly Read collection to the Read collection before it disappears from the home screen.

Even more annoying is the popup that appears when I do mark a book as finished - the one demanding that I rate and review the book. I'd love to be able to disable that.

Upthread, someone mentioned a patch to disable nag dialogues. I can't even find that, so if anyone's able to tell me what I should be looking for, I'd be grateful.
bluepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2024, 02:09 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepeter View Post
I find it annoying even if I have finished the book. Marking it as finished removes it from the home screen, but I want to move it from the Partly Read collection to the Read collection before it disappears from the home screen.
Could you not move it to your Read collection from the All option under Books? Though mine seem to end up in a Finished collection when I either finish a book or mark it as Finished.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 02:31 PM   #7
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Could you not move it to your Read collection from the All option under Books? Though mine seem to end up in a Finished collection when I either finish a book or mark it as Finished.
Yes, certainly I could. The issue is simply one of convenience. I'm lazy. If I'm already on the Home screen, it's simpler to do it from there than to go through the additional two steps* that that requires.

*Two, not one, because My Books takes me to Collections, not directly to Books. So I then need to either (a) go to Books, or (b) open the Partly Read collection.
Old 06-22-2024, 04:22 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Yes, certainly I could. The issue is simply one of convenience. I'm lazy. If I'm already on the Home screen, it's simpler to do it from there than to go through the additional two steps* that that requires.

*Two, not one, because My Books takes me to Collections, not directly to Books. So I then need to either (a) go to Books, or (b) open the Partly Read collection.
Strictly speaking, when you tap My Books, it goes to the last opened item. For me, that is Books. Since Reading under the Filter: options in Books is equivalent to your Partly Read collection and Finished is equivalent to your Read collection, I don't bother with having a special collection for either of those. As I've mentioned before the only collection I have left is the Finished collection and that is more or less laziness on my part not to have removed it.

I went through having collections built on genre, authors, series and multiple other factors but I found that search worked for me locating books and my carefully crafted collections were of no use. If I'm looking for a book in the Pathways in Time series, just typing 'pat' in the search box brought up the series a lot faster than scrolling through around 200 collections at the peak of my madness.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-22-2024 at 07:22 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 06:16 PM   #9
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
IUpthread, someone mentioned a patch to disable nag dialogues. I can't even find that, so if anyone's able to tell me what I should be looking for, I'd be grateful.
It's the kobopatch patch "Disable all tutorial dialogs" in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml. It also should remove some reminder nags.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 11:15 PM   #10
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It's the kobopatch patch "Disable all tutorial dialogs" in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml. It also should remove some reminder nags.
Many thanks.
Old 06-22-2024, 11:26 PM   #11
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Strictly speaking, when you tap My Books, it goes to the last opened item. For me, that is Books.
Yes, it does. In my case, that'll always be Collections. I've been using the same half-dozen or so collections, and basing my use on them, ever since I got my first e-reader. It's a system that works for me.
Old 06-23-2024, 11:11 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
That patch does not remove the do you want to mark these books as read prompt.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 10:00 PM   #13
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E; Kobo Clara BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That patch does not remove the do you want to mark these books as read prompt.
For anyone interested, that one is prevented by these lines in the eReader.conf file. I don't remember who posted this originally.

Code:
[ApplicationPreferences]
MarkAsFinishedLastShown=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x94h\x3!>i\x2)
MarkAsUnreadLastShown=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x94h\x3!>i\x2)
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 10:45 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313521
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 02:59 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
For anyone interested, that one is prevented by these lines in the eReader.conf file. I don't remember who posted this originally.

Code:
[ApplicationPreferences]
MarkAsFinishedLastShown=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x94h\x3!>i\x2)
MarkAsUnreadLastShown=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x94h\x3!>i\x2)
Perfect! I've added this to the config.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote