Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #1
Fitz Frobozz
Fitz Frobozz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Align text to top in columns

I'm struggling with CSS issue involving a parent div and a couple of child divs that I want aligned to the top. The document is ePub 3 and when done I intend to create an ePub 2 version for more device compatibility.

The CSS seems fine and both Caliber and Sigil render the content as expected (both container and children all align to top of page), but on my Kindle Scribe (and presumably on other Kindle readers) the second of the two child divs aligns to the bottom of the parent container instead.

Here's the CSS (the first applies to the parent container, the second to the child divs). Any suggestions?

Code:
.content-top {
  display: flex;
  grid-template-columns: 1fr 1fr;
  align-content: flex-start;
  vertical-align: top;
  font-size:.85em;
}
.float-container {
  align-content: flex-start;
  align-self:start;
}
Would prefer to stick with a solution like this one if possible, but I'm open to alternatives, especially if something suggested has wider reader support.

Edit: Just noticed that this relevant to this thread. Not seeing any clear solutions there, however.

Last edited by Fitz Frobozz; Yesterday at 02:49 PM.
Fitz Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Kindle doesn't honor the property "display: flex", so you can't use it in a .KFX ebook. And this other property you are employing "grid-template-columns" is for "grid layouts"; you can't use it with "display: flex" but with "display: grid".

Regarding a solution for your issue (it seems that you are looking for something that also works on Kindle), can you post an image of the desired output? Post that and I will be able to help you more.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM   #3
Fitz Frobozz

That makes sense and I had a feeling that would be what's going on here. I'd planned on starting with what I'd do normally and then tweak/revamp as required, but then I realized that I'm not very clear on what is and isn't supported on various devices.

Anyway, here's an illustration of what I am looking for and what gets rendered on the Scribe:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	column-text-rendering.png
Views:	12
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	211059  
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz Frobozz View Post
That makes sense and I had a feeling that would be what's going on here. I'd planned on starting with what I'd do normally and then tweak/revamp as required, but then I realized that I'm not very clear on what is and isn't supported on various devices.

Anyway, here's an illustration of what I am looking for and what gets rendered on the Scribe:
Ok, that is easy and you don't need to employ a flex-box. Here you have an aproximation that works on both, epub and KFX:

1. In your .xhtml file:

Code:
  <div class="left">
    <p>Lorem Ipsum</p>

<p>Lorem Ipsum</p>
  </div>

<div class="right">
    <p>Lorem Ipsum</p>
  </div>
2. In your .css file:

Code:
p {
  margin: 0; /* or whatever you want */
  line-height: 1.2em; /* or whatever you want */
  text-align: left; /* or whatever you want */
}

.left {
  float: left;
  width: 49.75%;
}

.right {
  float: right;
  width: 49.75%;
}
Use the above code and your epub will be compatible with epub2/3 ereaders and also with Kindle. An alternative could be to employ two divs with the property "display: inline-block"; something like the following:

1. The same for .xhtml file
2. In you .css file:

Code:
p {
  margin: 0;
  line-height: 1.2em;
  text-align: left;
}

.left {
  display: inline-block;
  width: 49%; /* Here you have to employ a smaller width; before you had 49.75% */
}

.right {
  display: inline-block; 
  width: 49%; /* Here you have to employ a smaller width */
}
But for this case, I prefer to employ the solution based on the property "float".

Last edited by RbnJrg; Yesterday at 09:53 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:45 AM   #5
Fitz Frobozz

That's helpful, thanks a bunch. Dunno why the float property was giving me trouble when I was trying to use it for this (just before deciding to experiment with grid and flex), but it sounds like it should have been fine. I'll give it another go and report back.
Advert