Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Electronic books and printed different lengths

I have looked at different reviews of several of the books that I have read in the past and some of the reviews say that the book is 1100 or so pages long while reviews of the electronic book have stated that the book is only 600 or so pages long. Is it possible for the electronic book to be actually shorter then the printed paperback? What accounts for this difference in lengths of the two different editions of the same book? I thought, in the past, that the paperback and the electronic editions had to be the same legth since they are editions of the same book.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
People are probably going by the automatically calculated page count on their reader, which changes with their font-size setting, rather than by the print page count of the official paper/hardback.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
What constitutes a page on an electronic book? It's different between devices and also how one counts pages. By changing various things in a printed edition it's quite possible to change it's page count when type setting just like the number of page turns on an ebook changes by altering the font size.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Thus probably the best thing for me to do if I want to get some sense of how big or small this book is would be to go with the number of pages in the printed edition.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Thus probably the best thing for me to do if I want to get some sense of how big or small this book is would be to go with the number of pages in the printed edition.
If there is a printed edition.

I wish ebooks would use standard word count.

If you know the book is straight text, then file size is often a good indicator.
Lots of graphics can skew that wildly, though.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Yes, if and only if there is at least one printed edition and then only if you know exactly what type of printed edition it is; hardback, mass market hardback (aka "book club"), trade paperback, or pocket sized paperback. Even then, the exact typography makes a big difference.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I wish ebooks would use standard word count.
Doesn't Adobe use a standard count for page numbering? Something like 1024 bytes per page, I think.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I use the mass market paperback as a comparison if it is available. Then any other paperback, then hardcover, and if there is no printed book I use locations and my historical data of average "locations/printed page" to estimate the page count.

I have been tracking the locations and (paperback) page counts for all the books I have read since I received my Kindle and the average is between 16 (2012 so far) and 19 (2011) locations/printed page. Shorter books can be much higher (my max is about 35 locations/page, but that was for a short story, so the cover image is disproportionate) and simply formatted books can be lower (10-15 locations per page is common).
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Doesn't Adobe use a standard count for page numbering? Something like 1024 bytes per page, I think.
All the vendors stick to SOME standard.
That's not standard word count. Standard word count is 5-character length average words, which, IIRC is the way various editors and stringers get paid.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
With a printed copy once a book is printed it's set in stone but with ecopies even a single copy can vary in page length depending on font and font size.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
People are probably going by the automatically calculated page count on their reader, which changes with their font-size setting, rather than by the print page count of the official paper/hardback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
With a printed copy once a book is printed it's set in stone but with ecopies even a single copy can vary in page length depending on font and font size.
ePub does not change the page number based on the font size. ePub pages are based on (I think) 1024 bytes of data.

One thing to note is that hardcovers have wider margins, bigger line space and larger print then most eBook you'll be reading on a reader.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-05-2012 at 07:10 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
First off, even with paper books, they can have different page counts, whether it's due to design, design, or size (i.e. trade vs. mass-market).

eBook formatting will also be different, so it figures that it will have a different page count, in addition to the software you're using and which device.
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Authorfriendly
Psychologist and Author
Authorfriendly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Authorfriendly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Authorfriendly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Authorfriendly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Authorfriendly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Authorfriendly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Authorfriendly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Authorfriendly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Authorfriendly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Authorfriendly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Authorfriendly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Locations

Quote:

I have been tracking the locations and (paperback) page counts for all the books I have read since I received my Kindle and the average is between 16 (2012 so far) and 19 (2011) locations/printed page. Shorter books can be much higher (my max is about 35 locations/page, but that was for a short story, so the cover image is disproportionate) and simply formatted books can be lower (10-15 locations per page is common).
Mind telling me what locations is?
Authorfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authorfriendly View Post
Mind telling me what locations is?
Location is a mechanism used by Amazon to reference a specific spot in an ebook file. Locations work easily with books even when you change the font size.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 04-21-2012 at 05:04 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote