Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-30-2004, 05:35 PM   #1
ricmac
ricmac began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T2
eBook Conversion Online Service

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good online service for converting text (preferably HTML, but can be plain text too) into common eBook formats: e.g. MS Reader (LIT), eReader (PDB), Mobipocket (PRC), Plucker.

There are various pieces of software you can download to do conversions, but none I know of handle conversions to *all* of the popular eBook formats. And to be frank, I don't want the hassle of downloading and configuring a bunch of software (although I already have Plucker Desktop). I'd much rather have 1 website to go to that does all the conversions for me.

I've actually thought to myself in the past that it would be a good business to do - offer an online web service that converts things into a range of eBook formats. However I concluded that there doesn't seem to be much of a business case for it right now - although Performance Quest is giving it a go.

So I'm thinking perhaps it would be better done as an Open Source project, because such a service would benefit everyone in the eBook community and help popularise eBooks etc. Is anyone interested in that idea?

But first things first, are there existing conversion services available online (and not as a downloadable piece of software)?
ricmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:04 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I don't know of any such service. I know that ebook stores that support multiple ebook formats offer you the conversion process; but then you have to publish your book with them.

Sounds like an intriguing idea!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2004, 08:34 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here's something along those lines. I haven't tried it, but it claims to convert from content at a URL to palm doc format... http://online.colum.edu/palmconvert/
But the content looks like it has to be online to be converted (as opposed to using an online tool to convert local content on your pc).

It seems to be using the code from the old pilot.screwdriver.net that stopped working some time ago.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
sas
Enthusiast
sas began at the beginning.

Device: T650 & T/T3
Here is another one, but again only Palm .doc
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:13 PM   #5
ricmac
ricmac began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T2
Thanks everyone. Sounds like there is not a general-purpose online conversion service and probably little demand for it either.
ricmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #6
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
ebook express?

Anyone know what happened with ebook express? They are still there at:

http://www.ebookexpress.com

But now it's just a bookstore. I seem to recall they used to have an online convert option. You would upload your text file and optionally an image to use as the cover and it would create a MS Reader .lit file for you to download. I can't seem to find it now.

There is a URL according to google of:

http://lit.ebookexpress.com/

But it doesn't work. I remember using it quite a bit before I got iSiloX.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Free Microsoft SDK for .lit Content Creation

Looks like you can do conversion to .lit with the free Content Software Development Kit from MS.

Also check out http://www.microsoft.com/reader/developers/default.asp for more MS info and tools on MS Reader.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #8
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Thumbs up

Lets do what you dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricmac
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good online service for converting text (preferably HTML, but can be plain text too) into common eBook formats: e.g. MS Reader (LIT), eReader (PDB), Mobipocket (PRC), Plucker.

There are various pieces of software you can download to do conversions, but none I know of handle conversions to *all* of the popular eBook formats. And to be frank, I don't want the hassle of downloading and configuring a bunch of software (although I already have Plucker Desktop). I'd much rather have 1 website to go to that does all the conversions for me.

I've actually thought to myself in the past that it would be a good business to do - offer an online web service that converts things into a range of eBook formats. However I concluded that there doesn't seem to be much of a business case for it right now - although Performance Quest is giving it a go.

So I'm thinking perhaps it would be better done as an Open Source project, because such a service would benefit everyone in the eBook community and help popularise eBooks etc. Is anyone interested in that idea?

But first things first, are there existing conversion services available online (and not as a downloadable piece of software)?
Old 04-12-2006, 08:17 AM   #9
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I don't know if this is quite what you're looking for, but Manybooks already has loads of books in several formats. They will also accept text file versions of books that they will convert and make available for free.

They're located at http://manybooks.net/
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #10
eduj
eduj began at the beginning.

Device: EBM-911
Can anyone explain to me why I can't convert a book I downloaded that has a .lit.zip ending on it? I tried to unzip it with Winzip-nothing happened and so I can't convert the .lit to a text file. I never came across that before. TIA. I'm at jpbrunnert@yahoo.com
eduj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
mike-13
mike-13 began at the beginning.

Device: mobipocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricmac View Post
Hi all,

Very recently i have came across one website http://www.itglobalsolution.com/mobi...n-services.htm. Actually I was looking to convert my pdf document to mobipocket and MS reader but due to large number of images and other formatting thing i was not able to convert them properly, so i took the service of the above company and they converted my pdf book to ebook book in very good looking ebook in very reasonable price. I definitely would like to recommend you to take their service for your ebook conversion.
mike-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #12
mike-13
mike-13 began at the beginning.

Device: mobipocket
Hi,
I know such company, their website address is http://www.itglobalsolution.com/mobi...n-services.htm. I took their service for ebook conversion to convert my pdf format book to mobipocket and MS reader. Actually my pdf book was little complicated with many images and other formatting thing due to which i was not able to convert my pdf book to ebook in proper way, so i took the help of above company and they converted my pdf book to good looking ebook in very reasonable price with very good layout and formatting. I really would like to recommend anybody to take service of this company.
mike-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if someone sent then an ebook with DRM, could they convert it and send back an ebook without DRM?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That would be illegal. It's arguably legal to do your own format conversion of a book that you've bought; it's definitely NOT legal to get someone else to do it for you!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So then what good is this service? If the books are DRMless then I can do my own conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote