Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-05-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
LilyEvie
Connoisseur
LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
[Kindle Fire] How to send EPUBS

I am putting this questions in this thread as I do not know how to start a new one. I have an older model of a Kindle Fire - not sure what version but it works great. I have the Aldiko app on it. My problem is this - I want to send epub versions of my books as Aldiko can read them, but Calibre keeps wanting to convert them to either azw3, mobi or pdf. How do I get Calibre to send them as epubs??
LilyEvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:26 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyEvie View Post
I am putting this questions in this thread as I do not know how to start a new one. I have an older model of a Kindle Fire - not sure what version but it works great. I have the Aldiko app on it. My problem is this - I want to send epub versions of my books as Aldiko can read them, but Calibre keeps wanting to convert them to either azw3, mobi or pdf. How do I get Calibre to send them as epubs??
Since your Kindle Fire should show up as an MTP device and trying to configure an MTP device with calibre 5.4.2 on my computer leads to an error so can't say if my advice is going to work. I have attached an image of the configuration screen from calibre 4.23.

That said, connect your Kindle Fire, click on the arrow beside device and then click on Configure this device. The first configuration tab should show a list of file types. I would suggest locating epub, selecting it and then using the arrows to move it to the top of the list. See attached image for configuring my Nexus 7 as a MTP device with calibre 4.23
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mtp_device_configuration.png
Views:	133
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	183240  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2020, 07:59 AM   #3
LilyEvie
Connoisseur
LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LilyEvie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
DNSB - David

Thank you very much. I forgot to mention that I too am using calibre 4.23 at present. It has been a while since I've read books on my Kindle so I forgot how to set it up. Needless to say, I will be writing this information down somewhere.

Again, thank you.
LilyEvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:08 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@DNSB what error do you get?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@DNSB what error do you get?
If I don't have an MTP device connected and attempt to open the MTP device configuration page from Preferences/Plugins, instead of the Cannot configure I get from 4.23, 5.4.2 gives the following error message:

Spoiler:
Code:
calibre, version 5.4.2
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:'<' not supported between instances of 'NoneType' and 'str'

calibre 5.4.2 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (7, 0, 0) && Annotations (1, 13, 0) && Baen (1, 2, 0) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 16) && Calibre Power Search Plugin (1, 7, 0) && Count Pages (1, 11, 0) && Diaps Editing Toolbag (0, 3, 7) && EpubCheck (0, 2, 3) && EpubMerge (2, 11, 0) && EpubSplit (3, 0, 0) && FanFicFare (3, 24, 0) && Fantastic Fiction (1, 4, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 8, 3) && Goodreads (1, 5, 1) && Hyphenate This! (0, 1, 3) && Job Spy (1, 0, 188) && Kindle hi-res covers (0, 5, 0) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 82, 3) && Kobo Books (1, 8, 0) && Kobo Utilities (2, 11, 9) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 4, 1) && Modify ePub (1, 6, 1) && Obok DeDRM (6, 7, 0) && Open With (1, 5, 13) && Quality Check (1, 10, 1) && Resize Cover (1, 1, 0) && ScrambleEbook (0, 4, 5) && SmartEject (2, 3, 0) && Smashwords Metadata (1, 0, 2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 293, in customize_plugin
  File "calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 371, in modify_plugin
  File "calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 158, in do_user_config
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 532, in config_widget
  File "calibre\gui2\device_drivers\mtp_config.py", line 408, in __init__
  File "calibre\gui2\device_drivers\mtp_config.py", line 450, in get_pref
  File "calibre\utils\config.py", line 437, in __setitem__
  File "calibre\utils\config.py", line 400, in commit
  File "calibre\utils\config.py", line 421, in to_raw
  File "calibre\utils\config_base.py", line 101, in json_dumps
  File "json\__init__.py", line 234, in dumps
  File "json\encoder.py", line 201, in encode
  File "json\encoder.py", line 431, in _iterencode
  File "json\encoder.py", line 353, in _iterencode_dict
TypeError: '<' not supported between instances of 'NoneType' and 'str'

If I plug in my Nexus 7 and tell it to transfer files, the configuration dialog opens without problems.
Advert
Old 11-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...fc33070d590861
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:59 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Once again, thanks for the speedy response!