Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM   #1
nar001
Enthusiast
nar001 began at the beginning.

Device: M96C
Bypass the "Set up your Kindle" screen on a Kindle Scribe?

So, considering it seems the Kindle Scribe doesn't let you bypass this screen other than being in airplane mode (That you can't enable if you don't access settngs, which you can't access without bypassing this screen) or if the set up itself crashes, is there any way to reliably get past it without registering? Any help would be appreciated, thanks a lot!
nar001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This post has scripts you can use to install fake registration on a Paperwhite, although it may or may not be enough to fool a Scribe:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=125

Once you install the fake registration, you should probably keep Wi-Fi off permanently, since you can't do anything with Amazon's servers without a real registration. The script attempts to block access to the registration server, but Amazon could have made firmware changes in the last three years that would prevent this from working.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM   #3
nar001
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
This post has scripts you can use to install fake registration on a Paperwhite, although it may or may not be enough to fool a Scribe:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=125

Once you install the fake registration, you should probably keep Wi-Fi off permanently, since you can't do anything with Amazon's servers without a real registration. The script attempts to block access to the registration server, but Amazon could have made firmware changes in the last three years that would prevent this from working.
I appreciate the link! But this can only be done after bypassing the kindle set up, as far as I know? You have to have access to KUAL and such, and the kindle set up locks you out of it
Old Today, 05:29 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@nar001 are you trying to bypass a blacklist on a Scribe?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:37 AM   #5
nar001
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@nar001 are you trying to bypass a blacklist on a Scribe?
We already talked about this, having you ask the question I already answered is getting tiring.
Advert
Old Today, 04:42 PM   #6
bulltricks
Enthusiast
bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle family
Bypassing account logins are an excellent way to keep a Kindle Scribe on an old jailbreakable firmware.

The methods that have mostly worked for me are:

1. On the firmwares without Chromium, you can use the ;-debug codes in the Webkit browser!
So, find or create a "Captive Portal" (say, xfinitywifi in some areas)...
Then, enable demo (I think ;demo ), reboot, use the magic gesture (see languagebreak) to get out of demo, use ';uzb" to enable USB mode. If your firmware is old enough, you can language break, or if not, you can creat ea 'DO_FACTORY_RESTORE' and reboot again. This wipes the files that keep it in aggressive out-of-box-experience, and you can skip setup this time

2. On some firmwares, using an open access point, not connected to anything - eg, a wifi router with no WAN plugged in, you connect to the wifi and try to register an account a couple of times - eventually the software thinks amazon is down, and lets you in. You might also want to go through DO_FACTORY_RESTORE here as well
bulltricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:15 PM   #7
nar001
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulltricks View Post
Bypassing account logins are an excellent way to keep a Kindle Scribe on an old jailbreakable firmware.

The methods that have mostly worked for me are:

1. On the firmwares without Chromium, you can use the ;-debug codes in the Webkit browser!
So, find or create a "Captive Portal" (say, xfinitywifi in some areas)...
Then, enable demo (I think ;demo ), reboot, use the magic gesture (see languagebreak) to get out of demo, use ';uzb" to enable USB mode. If your firmware is old enough, you can language break, or if not, you can creat ea 'DO_FACTORY_RESTORE' and reboot again. This wipes the files that keep it in aggressive out-of-box-experience, and you can skip setup this time

2. On some firmwares, using an open access point, not connected to anything - eg, a wifi router with no WAN plugged in, you connect to the wifi and try to register an account a couple of times - eventually the software thinks amazon is down, and lets you in. You might also want to go through DO_FACTORY_RESTORE here as well
I'll try the second one, the first one I'm not sure I can since to enable demo mode I need to get on the main page of it, which is after the set up screen. But the second one might be doable!

Edit: It only says that it can't connect and to contact my service provider, weirdly enough. It doesn't let me bypass this, so I hope there's another way!

Last edited by nar001; Today at 07:19 PM.