Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
ChefDude
PRS505 owner
ChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to behold

Device: Sony PRS-350, 505
Hi there, new 505 owner :)

I spent all last night loading books onto my 505.

they were a mixture of pdf, rtf and txt. sony's ebook library seemed to have lots of trouble with my non DRM'd rtfs and i was finding the rendering on pdfs a little slow, so I converted everything to txt format.

i was wondering - as i haven't tried these - are epub or lrf format faster for the 505 to catalogue (when you first load the book and switch on), to load the book to read and to change font size over plain txt?

I am quite happy with the txt times, but if epub/lrf are faster, then i will convert them.

What are peoples findings on this?

Thanks
Chef
ChefDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Chef.

Have you downloaded any of the free books here yet?

Already beautifully formatted for your Sony..........by our own members, yet!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
ChefDude
PRS505 owner
ChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to behold

Device: Sony PRS-350, 505
Err, I haven't as yet. I will go look now
ChefDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
ht1948
ht1948 doesn't litterht1948 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I think lfr files look better on my Sony than epub files. It might be just me though
ht1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, ChefDude.

I've had my 505 since Christmas. My personal choice, in order of preference, is: LRF (it's non DRM), then epub (non DRM) they both work very well on my 505 as I load through the Sony eLibrary and it pre-pagnates or something to open faster.

The LRF is fully justified on both right and left. The epub is only left justified but i don't mind as it still reads well and text enlarges well for me. [I haven't ventured into using Calibre, although everyone says it is very easy to use].

This site has lots of freebies for the Sony (Sony BBeB=(LRF) and epub. They are non DRM) Look on the blue bar up top and on the drop down menu choose either one.

Next, I use the Sony freebies (LRX from the Sony Store which are DRM'd).

Lending Libraries use pdf and epub (ADE) and are fairly easy to use and get on the 505. [I haven't signed up for a library card yet as I have too many books still to be read]. We have lots of members who download books from the library.

Very, very last I use pdf. I really try to avoid it. I just want to load and read.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, ChefDude!

I usually convert from rtf (rich text format) to lrf using Calibre and then upload to my Sony. Using Calibre, you can load directly to your Sony if you don't want to go through the Ebook Library software. I personnally prefer the lrf format. Good luck.

Enjoy your time here at MobileRead!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I usually convert from rtf (rich text format) to lrf using Calibre and then upload to my Sony. Using Calibre, you can load directly to your Sony if you don't want to go through the Ebook Library software. I personnally prefer the lrf format. Good luck.
Just curious, why do you bother converting rtf to lrf? I don't find there to be any performance difference between the formats on the 505. Unless you're trying to preserve pictures in the source rtf?
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Welcome to MobileRead ChefDude and congrats to your new PRS-505. Imho it doesn't really matter whether you use LRF or ePub. I'm using both even if i think that technically ePub is the superior eBook format. Just try it out and find out which one is right for you. A lot of free titles here at MobileRead are available in both formats...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Hi,
Congrats on your 505.
I've had mine for a bit over a week now and love it.
I use Calibre to convert files to lrf which is the format I use probably because of ease of use.
Enjoy,
Kai
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Hi & welcome aboard ChefDude enjoy your reader and what Mobileread has to offer.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi ChefDude and welcome to MobileRead.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Just curious, why do you bother converting rtf to lrf? I don't find there to be any performance difference between the formats on the 505. Unless you're trying to preserve pictures in the source rtf?
I've never really tried loading an rtf file to my 700. I'm pretty happy with the lrf format.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

lrf is great, I just thought you might want to save the time & trouble converting text rtf's... Most of the time it's unnecessary because they look and perform exactly the same on the 505.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #14
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
lrf is great, I just thought you might want to save the time & trouble converting text rtf's... Most of the time it's unnecessary because they look and perform exactly the same on the 505.
It really doesn't take much time when using Calibre.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:58 AM   #15
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I haven't seen any difference as far as loading time btwn lrf and rtf. I like the look of lrf files better...but that is probably just the fonts.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote