Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Ligatures in 4.28.18220?

I updated from 4.26.16704 to 4.28.18220.

I see 'KePub stylesheet additions' has been replaced with 'KePub stylesheet additions - text justify' and 'KePub stylesheet additions - optimizeSpeed'

But I don't see a replacement for the old legibility patch.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:48 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
For more detail see this post I made for the previous Elipsa-only fw 4.28.17925. The situation is still the same for fw 4.28.18220.

After you've read the final paragraph in the linked post, if you want to try my beta I can post it tomorrow. It seems to work OK on my own Kobos, but I haven't had time to do much reading in the last few weeks to notice if there are any weird side effects.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2021, 08:58 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure, I'd like to be a beta tester. I replied to this thread since the linked thread is about older firmware.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:19 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Sure, I'd like to be a beta tester. I replied to this thread since the linked thread is about older firmware.
Just to let you know I haven't forgotten. Just waiting for @geek1011 to advise where he'd prefer me to post the beta patch in case anyone else needs it.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@ZodWallop,

I've now posted the new beta patch on @geek1011's GitHib website

You can copy/paste it from there into libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml (or whichever .yaml file you use for other personal/custom patches to libnickel.so.1.0.0)

It should not need to be updated for subsequent firmware versions ... unless, of course, Kobo decide to make another significant change.
Advert
Old 08-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Got it, updated my Kobo. In my thorough ten seconds of review, ligatures are back and I didn't see anything hinkey.

Incidentally, in my ePubs/kepubs, I always justify the body text in the book file with Calibre. On the actual Kobo, I set justification to 'Off'.

If you need further info/details, let me know. I'll report back if anything weird happens.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:36 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Incidentally, in my ePubs/kepubs, I always justify the body text in the book file with Calibre. On the actual Kobo, I set justification to 'Off'.
I do the same.
Quote:
If you need further info/details, let me know. I'll report back if anything weird happens.
Just report back if you see anything "visually unusual" when using Search, Annotations or Highlighting in kepubs. Although I'm at a loss to guess what that might be.

I think the patch is as safe as it ever was for readers of English and other European languages. It's only patching CSS styling so I don't see how any irreversible damage could be done.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think the patch is as safe as it ever was for readers of English and other European languages. It's only patching CSS styling so I don't see how any irreversible damage could be done.
I wish Kobo would just enable ligatures by default. I believe the other big guys do (I know Nook does and I'm pretty sure Amazon does as well).
Old 08-19-2021, 03:54 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I wish Kobo would just enable ligatures by default. I believe the other big guys do (I know Nook does and I'm pretty sure Amazon does as well).
Well, Kobo does enable them by default in epubs which is because that's the default behaviour of the Adobe reading app, also used by Nook, I believe.

I may be wrong, but aren't niceties like hyphenation, ligatures and kerning only the default on Kindles if you use the abominable KFX format?
Old 08-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Well, Kobo does enable them by default in epubs which is because that's the default behaviour of the Adobe reading app, also used by Nook, I believe.

I may be wrong, but aren't niceties like hyphenation, ligatures and kerning only the default on Kindles if you use the abominable KFX format?
With Kindle, you are correct that you get hyphenation, ligatures, and kerning with KFX. If you use the Hyphenate This! plugin or the Hyphenation (Polish) feature of Calibre, you can add soft hyphens to KF8 and have working hyphenation. But you won't get ligatures and kerning.

KFX sucks (IMHO). Given that Adobe can do all three things with ePub (via RMSDK) without needing to change the format, Amazon could have done the same thing with KF8. KFX exists to add unbreakable DRM even if the publisher requests no DRM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:04 AM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Right, but I wish it were enabled on Kobo's home-grown format: kepub. This is their preferred format. Why not make it look its best?

Quote:
I believe so? I haven't used a Kindle much. Mostly spent a few minutes here and there with relatives Kindles.

Edit: Oh, and since I am posting again, still no issues noticed with your beta patch. I hope it is added to future firmware patches.