Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Leadlight
Edge User

An idea to use the e-ink display as keyboard input.

I was thinking that when the sdk will be avalaible it could be possible to enter text on the edge in a very interesting way.
Imagine a virtual keyboard on the e-ink: it would be very difficult to write on it because the pen (wacom penabled input) would make the process quite slow.
But...what if someone (Entourage or third party) could implement a swype/slideIt-like system for this virtual keyboard (on the e-ink)?
Then it would be possible to write with the pen because the system would quickly recognize the "drawing" and generate the words.
This would give us a real netbook-killer because we could browse the web fullscreen and open the edge as a keyboard-monitor unit.
I am sure someone already thought about it but i'm happy to share this idea anyway.
What do you think?

Old 05-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Leadlight
Edge User

No. Handwriting recognition wouldn't be much faster than a virtual keyboard (pressed with the pen)
This is something entirely different.
Take a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnQts9NUnL4

Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
robot
Edge User

Good idea! Not sure if it legal to use Swype like input in EE. And it's impossible to ask Swype to do it without SDK.

p.s. I'm using wireless keyboard with EE and it's work very good. (the only problem is CTRL key combo is not supported)

Old 05-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
10tklz
Edge User

I like it! Kudos on a great idea.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
keng2000
Edge User

Need more things
1.E-Ink lanscape rotation
2.Full screen Keyboard
3.International Language support.
Then I can use EE as Typewriter...

Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
vicinc
Edge User

The use of E-Ink as a keyboard even with the pen was advocated by me for a long time as this transform the device in a true laptop. swype is even better!!!

Old 05-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Steed
Edge User

Great Idea, that would awesome if this was enabled on the eink side of the EE. I can see something like that being very useful.