Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #1
ljelly
ljelly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th gen
Libra H2O or Oasis

Hello guys,

I'm new to the forum, I've been using the Kindle (8th gen) for more than 2 years now and I would like to upgrade to a new device.
Was thinking about PW but then I found about about Kobo and Libra H2O which brings
me to the dilemma from the subject.
I've read more than a few discussions on benefits of both devices so I'll keep it short and ask you what would you choose if the price for Oasis is around 160 € (with the trade in and 20 % discount) and for Libra is 200 €?
I can buy Libra from a local dealer and Oasis from amazon.de but it doesn't make much difference for me.

Would be nice to have Pocket integration on Kobo and easier PDF reading but I'm not sure if this is worth the extra 40 €. Also, my country (Croatia) doesn't have libraries to use them with Overdrive so I would have to ask some of the lets say English or US libraries if I could be their "online" member and rent their digital books with Overdrive.

Thank you.
ljelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
If the Oasis was cheaper by 40€, I would buy the Oasis. If the price was the same, I would buy the Libra.

I have both and they're both good. I switch between them.

The Libra is more customizable and integrates well with Calibre, so if book sorting and management on an ereader is important to you, get the Libra. The Oasis is much less flexible, but can be customized to a certain extent as well (disabling the home screen, installing custom fonts and the font_ramp hack for custom font sizes etc.).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Annotation support (Kobo Utilities), series, and collections all work far better on the current Kobos than PW3. I only use my PW3 to buy Kindle ebooks. The Libra SW integration to Calibre is far better.

Don't trade in. Keep the Kindle as it's the best way to buy Amazon ebooks (download PC for that model) and read them on the Libra via Alf and Calibre.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
ljelly

Thank you Sirtel and Quoth,

I think I'll wait a little more and then get the Libra.
It's so well received that I don't want to miss trying it 😄
Old 02-15-2021, 01:27 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’m obviously in the Kobo camp, but I’d buy the Oasis as cheaper and because presumably you’re already invested in the Amazon ecosystem. I can’t make a good argument for a pricier Kobo just for funsies.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2021, 02:06 PM   #6
ljelly

Why you have to make it complicated for me 😝
Well that's how I thought: I have the basic Kindle so I'll trade in for the PW and stay with Amazon because that's all I knew. But then the Libra appeared in the best of lists so I started to look at it and the biggest problem now is the price since I didn't plan to spend 200 € on an ereader. My Kindle works just fine for 70 € so it's not a necessity but would be nice. Then the Valentine's day discount for Oasis came up and here I am.
But since I'm not in a rush to get the new device I think I'll wait and then buy what I like, probably the Libra.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:38 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
If it seems that people are not responding to your post, it is better to add to (bump up) your original thread rather than double-post.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:48 PM   #8
ljelly

Of course. The double post was because I couldn't see the first one and I thought that it didn't go through.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:18 PM   #9
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Received a Libra and an Oasis today to compare. The screen quality and front light are better on the Oasis IMO.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Received a Libra and an Oasis today to compare. The screen quality and front light are better on the Oasis IMO.
The Libra is the better of the two. The firmware on the Libra is light-years ahead of the Oasis.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:41 PM   #11
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Libra is the better of the two. The firmware on the Libra is light-years ahead of the Oasis.
Well, that's a huge shortcut. The fact that's better for you is one thing, but stating the Libra is better than the Oasis won't be true for everybody. I'm still playing around to get familiar with the Kobo software.

I buy an e-ink e-reader for the screen first and then the capabilities of reading the books I want to read. So the screen quality is something I will value a lot. And we're comparing Amazon to Kobo, the 2 major mainstream actors. Maybe the software is really good for Kobo, but it is also good on the Amazon side (I have enjoyed my Voyage for years, it's been an amazing reader, even after my really good Sony) X-ray is really good for big books with lot of characters, word wise helped me to read in English my first English books, flashcards to lookup the words I consulted later...)
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote