Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-12-2024, 03:18 AM   #1
Enelya123
Enelya123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Nia
After updating to Calibre 7.12.0

Hi

Ive been using Calibre for almost a year and i havent had that much problems with it until yesterday when I downloaded and updatet to 7.12.0. After installing my calibre app wont open at all regardless from where i try and open it. I couldnt go back and install a earlier version because i then get a message saying that i already have a newer version installed and to intall the previous version I have to delete and reinstall and i dont want to lose all the books i currently have in calibre.

Anyone have any help to offer?
I dont know what it is thats wrong.

TIA
Enelya123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 05:47 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Check the task manager and see if it is running (off screen). Sometimes the last used screen position gets corrupted and it is just off to the side on a phantom display.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2024, 06:17 AM   #3
Enelya123

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Check the task manager and see if it is running (off screen). Sometimes the last used screen position gets corrupted and it is just off to the side on a phantom display.
Thank you!
I’ve done that and it doesn’t show there so there’s nothing I can do through task management I think
Old 06-12-2024, 06:23 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then Uninstall . That does not remove an existing Library
Then you can install any version
Old 06-12-2024, 06:42 AM   #5
Enelya123

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Then Uninstall . That does not remove an existing Library
Then you can install any version
Oh? Are you sure? I thought for sure that uninstalling would remove all the books imported in the program that’s why I was to scared to do that. Thank you
Advert
Old 06-12-2024, 07:20 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelya123 View Post
Oh? Are you sure? I thought for sure that uninstalling would remove all the books imported in the program that’s why I was to scared to do that. Thank you
Before uninstalling and reinstalling, go into your setting directory and rename the file gui.json to gui.json.bak.

Then run calibre 7.12 and see if it shows up on screen.

The settings directory is %appdata%\calibre on Windows.

This might solve the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:38 AM   #7
Enelya123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Before uninstalling and reinstalling, go into your setting directory and rename the file gui.json to gui.json.bak.

Then run calibre 7.12 and see if it shows up on screen.

The settings directory is %appdata%\calibre on Windows.

This might solve the problem.
Someone told me to reset the computer from an earlier time before I ran the update and that “fixed” the issue. But I’m a bit scared to update it again.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:49 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelya123 View Post
Someone told me to reset the computer from an earlier time before I ran the update and that “fixed” the issue. But I’m a bit scared to update it again.
I would not go back. You don't know what else that will change.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 10:55 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Jon's advice (last 2 posts) is fine.
The GUI.JSON is where Calibre keep lots of the GUI settings .
It will be recreated if missing (thus fixing corruption), but it will also lose some other GUI customization. NOT the LIBRARY settings.

A quick fix rather than Uninstall, reinstall if it works.

Tags
help calibre, problem with installation