Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Downgrading from 5.7.2 firmware

There exists, for the PW-3, KT-2, and KV deivces, a copy of the factory update_initial.bin install file.
Edit:
Add PW-2, 2Gbyte and 4Gbyte to the above list:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...14&postcount=6

They are **expected to** re-install the initial factory load without regard to what is currently installed.

Currently **untested** in the field.

You might very well need a serial port connection to recover your device if something goes wrong with these update_initial.bin files.

(But if you have a serial port connection already, you don't need these 'downgrade' packages to get back to your 5.6.5 firmware.
You would only be testing the packages operation for us.)

PM me for a US side of the ocean download link if willing to risk your device for us.

There may be a Europe download location also - just watch this thread for that news.

Last edited by knc1; 02-05-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:48 PM   #2
irreld
Enthusiast
irreld began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 PW3 DPT-RP1
Sorry for not being able to test. My only PW2 is for daily use and I havent got a serial port connection.

But I am wondering is this a kind of rescue pack? And are there any mechanisms(like signing) to prevent the custom factory bin?
Advert
Old 02-05-2016, 01:11 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irreld View Post
Sorry for not being able to test. My only PW2 is for daily use and I havent got a serial port connection.

But I am wondering is this a kind of rescue pack? And are there any mechanisms(like signing) to prevent the custom factory bin?
PW-2 is not on the list of available initial updates.

No, it is what it says it is, the initial factory firmware install.
No, drop in root of USB storage, and re-boot it.

The following is (expert) speculation:
From the evidence available, it seems the Kindles are manufactured with only the 'diags' operating system installed.

That copy of u-boot, kernel, and file system would have been programmed while the memory chips where still on the tape reel -
before being soldered to the board.
(the 'programmed while on the tape reel' is not speculation - that is how high volume devices are built).

The production of the devices up to the 'ready to box' stage is most likely fairly slow -
Say maybe only 10,000 per week.
At which point they would be stockpiled in that state.

Now to go from 'ready to box' to 'ready to ship' only requires:
lift Kindle from box -
insert into jig (with a USB connection) -
push 'go' button on jig -
the update_initial.bin file is transferred and the kindle rebooted -
while that is happening, the same person is doing the same to twenty other jigs -
now back to that original Kindle -
if it is showing the initial 'plug me in' screen - ship it
if not - toss in recycle bin.

Now that step can be done much, much faster than 10,000 a week by a bunch of people who want a 1 week factory job away from the rice fields.

THAT is how to meet the extremely high demand the first day/week/month of a new product's release without having the huge cost of a lot of vast production facilities sitting idle for the other 11 months or 51 weeks or 365 days (this is leap year).

I.E: You only need the 'raw material' -> 'ready to box' able to meet the average demand over a year's time.
And only the 'ready to box' -> 'ship it' stage needing the ability to run at the initial demand rate.
Also, that last step can be done by vast armies of people with mud still between their toes and only getting paid $1.50 + one bowl of rice (lunch) for a 16 hour work day.

Keep in mind that those "$1.50 + one bowl of rice" jobs for a day's work is much, much more than you can earn in the rice fields.
Even with tightly controlled press, news of riots at the factory hiring door over those "high paying" jobs have shown up in the press.

It is the way that part of the world works (pun intended).

= = = = =

Potential scoffers:
That is more than a family could earn during the Great Depression in the USA.
Read (or watch) : "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck.
There are people still alive who lived through those times, ask anyone in their 80's or 90's.

Last edited by knc1; 02-05-2016 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:05 AM   #4
irreld
Enthusiast
irreld began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 PW3 DPT-RP1
So, if I get it correct. This is a bin that does 'true factory reset'.
Then why can it apply to devices regardless of system version? At least Amazon can ban such thing like what they did in 5.6.5.

So are you sure to use the method now in 5.7.2 , not keeping it till 5.8 or 5.9?
I have an idea for that. Like iOS devices or Android devices , maybe a custom firmware of repacked system is possible through mrinstaller, as long as jailbreak is available.

For the production part, I understand. Most of modern devices are manufatured that way. I know many young people without much education doing such thing in Foxconn.

Last edited by irreld; 02-05-2016 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by irreld View Post
So, if I get it correct. This is a bin that does 'true factory reset'.
Then why can it apply to devices regardless of system version? At least Amazon can ban such thing like what they did in 5.6.5.

So are you sure to use the method now in 5.7.2 , not keeping it till 5.8 or 5.9?
I have an idea for that. Like iOS devices or Android devices , maybe a custom firmware of repacked system is possible through mrinstaller, as long as jailbreak is available.
- - - -
Yes - it was the first thing ever programmed for the 'main' OS of the kindle.
It does not touch /var/local that we know about yet.

We don't know.
But if it does indeed install on a device where 'main' is present, we will be trying to learn what the differences are.

It shouldn't matter the installed version -
The update_initial.bin would only have to match the hardware model.

And these packages are from Amazon - they are signed by Amazon - so the MR 'jail break' certificate is not required.

Since Amazon evidently did not realize (or didn't care) they where shipping these on new Kindles, there might be all kinds of things to be learned from them.

But these first package tests need to be done by someone with a serial port connection installed so we can capture the progress messages - else we don't learn anything.
And the testing person has to be running Linux, because we have learned that Hyperterminal/Windows drops the USB connection during the Kindle re-boot (MiniCom/Linux does not), and we want everything from the first character of the first message.

Last edited by knc1; 02-05-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Advert
Old 02-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I should have one on hand for the 4GB PW2 (meaning it should work across all PW2 models).
Old 02-06-2016, 06:15 AM   #7
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I have one old PW2 2GB WiFi (90D4 - 5.6.2.1) that can be used for this test.

But I don't have serial connection there (and no hardware to make one)... Screen is damaged so I don't really care if it will be bricked.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 02-06-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:35 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
I have one old PW2 2GB WiFi (90D4 - 5.6.2.1) that can be used for this test.

But I don't have serial connection there (and no hardware to make one)... Screen is damaged so I don't really care if it will be bricked.
Thanks for the offer.
We do have hardware to test several of the models.
Let us do that first to get some general ideas about these factory installer packages.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #9
ferbv
ferbv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 2
Is this the recommended way to downgrade if I'm on a jailbroken version of 5.7.2? Or can I just apply the old update.bin without anything bursting into flame?

Edit: the update package is "invalid", naturally enough. Does @NiLuJe's downgrader package work? The README says probably not for >= 5.6.0...

Last edited by ferbv; 02-06-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbv View Post
Is this the recommended way to downgrade if I'm on a jailbroken version of 5.7.2? Or can I just apply the old update.bin without anything bursting into flame?

Edit: the update package is "invalid", naturally enough. Does @NiLuJe's downgrader package work? The README says probably not for >= 5.6.0...
No, you can't do that any longer.
No, that doesn't work either.

What we will be testing here is the update_*.bin file the factory uses for installation.
We have some evidence that it can be run by any version firmware.

Results of testing will be posted in this thread - stay subscribed.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #11
moah
moah began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No, you can't do that any longer.
No, that doesn't work either.

What we will be testing here is the update_*.bin file the factory uses for installation.
We have some evidence that it can be run by any version firmware.

Results of testing will be posted in this thread - stay subscribed.

There is no way to downgrade to anyone in 5.7.2? That's right? =/
Old 02-08-2016, 04:00 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by moah View Post
There is no way to downgrade to anyone in 5.7.2? That's right? =/
Wrong.
Use the serial port -
or
If jailbroken, boot the 'diags' system and from there change the file system image and kernel of the 'main' system.

or
Stay subscribed to this thread - we may have a pure software way to do it - needs testing.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #13
moah

Quote:
Wrong.
Use the serial port -
or
If jailbroken, boot the 'diags' system and from there change the file system image and kernel of the 'main' system.

or
Stay subscribed to this thread - we may have a pure software way to do it - needs testing.
This jailbroken looks pretty complicated. Damn time I updated the kindle
Old 02-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by moah View Post
This jailbroken looks pretty complicated. Damn time I updated the kindle
What?
By your info block, neither firmware 5.7.2 nor the jb of firmware 5.6.5 is for your kindle model (PW-1).

check the first few characters of your serial number against this chart:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Old 02-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #15
moah

Quote:
What?
By your info block, neither firmware 5.7.2 nor the jb of firmware 5.6.5 is for your kindle model (PW-1).

check the first few characters of your serial number against this chart:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Sorry,I not expressed myself correctly. I have Kindle PaperWhite 2 in version 5.72. I wanted to downgrade to 5.6.5. =/
Closed Thread