Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Do people really buy new ereaders off Ebay?

I took a quick look in Ebay's ereader category tonight, and was a little surprised at the number of people trying to sell (specifically) Kindles at prices higher than Amazon's. Wi-fi models were offered at £139.99 (£111 from Amazon), and 3G models at £189.99 (£152 from Amazon)! Are there really people other there stupid enough to pay those prices?

I also find it amazing that people pay greater-than-new prices for second hand items in auctions, such as a current auction for a wi-fi Kindle that stands at £104 (inc P&P) with 8 hours left on the bidding.

CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
Perhaps those are U.S. prices? In the U.S., a Kindle 3 Wifi is $139 and with 3G is $189.
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Nope, UK based seller, selling in UK pounds.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Sellers on eBay take Paypal. Amazon doesn't.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
Then maybe they're just horribly confused. :P Although, I did look on there, and some are priced the same with free shipping (which would be good if you wanted to use paypal). That just makes sense. But I saw one auction for a wifi-only Kindle at $199, instead of $139. That's a 30% increase in price. I have no idea why somebody would buy that off eBay, especially from an individual seller, not a large, well-known company.

Last edited by Mario1up; 04-06-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I guess the sellers would sell for a higher price because eBay charges a commission? As for the people who buy, I would guess they want to use PayPal instead of using a credit card. Or maybe a particular e-reader is really hard to find where they live, so they buy it off of eBay at a premium.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Perhaps they're signed, limited collector's editions...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I don't do eBay; I don't do PayPal. Never did; never will.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
Sawduster
Sawduster is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Auction syndrome? I've seen and watched used items on Ebay list for more than new and receive mutiple bids with high shipping costs.
Sawduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawduster View Post
Auction syndrome? I've seen and watched used items on Ebay list for more than new and receive mutiple bids with high shipping costs.
Interesting. That would explain my behavior with desirable rock specimens. I go stark raving mad for unusual jaspers especially.

Last edited by DixieGal; 04-07-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Rockhounds have heads full of rocks! ;)
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There a countries where you can't buy these readers from their manufacturer. For example there is no B&N outside the US and they do not ship overseas as easy. If I were to buy a Nook I would do so on ebay for sure.

Willing to pay a little more for something you wouldn't get otherwise does not make you "stupid" as the OP so charmingly said. But judging other people like this without the slightest bit of common sense does. At least IMO.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My own conjecture:

1) Ebay can command a premium over the open market price for readers simply becuase they are ebay and their popular, howmany times do you see your friends and show them your latest purchase and brag, I bought it from overstock.com or I bought it from KMart, no your are more likely to do that becuase you bought it on ebay.

2) Never under estimate the stupidity of the consumer, some are willing to pay extra high prices becuase they think that eaby is the only web store out there. Don't laugh I met someone who thought this was the fact.

3) Some like the idea of an auction and it doesn't ocurr to them that you could end up paying more at an auction then you would open market.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't know why people do it, but I'm not particularly surprised that it happens. My father-in-law wanted a GPS, and I suggested that he buy the same model that I had, since I knew it would do exactly what he wanted and was within his budget.

He bought a second hand, older model by the same manufacturer from e-bay for the same price that mine cost. In use, it's identical to mine, but doesn't have an SD card slot, has a monochrome screen and less accurate sensor. I don't know why he did it, but can only think that he assumed it was a bargain because it was on e-bay.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Psobilities avantman:

1) Did not understand that what he bought was an older model;
2) Does not understand that new models have more advanced technology;
3) Understands that what he bought is an older model but has a distaste for all "new fangled" things and the older model is older therefore not "new fangled".
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Maybe some people are just overly familiar with shopping on eBay and are in a small town where it's not possible to find e-readers locally. They could find these things on Amazon, or any other number of retailers, but they choose eBay for ease of use. And now their garage is full of crap they got from bid-sniping

Mom was this way. Rather than look at regular online stores, she would prowl eBay for everything. Luckily, she didn't get hosed with many (if any) of her purchases, and got relatively good deals.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote