Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-12-2020, 12:41 AM   #1
save8lot
save8lot began at the beginning.

Device: none
Formatting Problem Converting .azw3 to .epub

Hello, I have several .azw3 ebooks (without DRM) that I would like to convert to .epub.

I have tried multiple online converters, as well as installed programs like Calibre, epubor, etc to complete this conversion.

Unfortunately these are childrens books that contain both text and pictures on every page, and the converted files never display correctly.

Either all the pictures (background images) display with no text, or the text displays with no images, or half the images display with incorrectly placed text, or the images from multiple pages overlap, etc. They never come out right.

I have even tried using "KindleUnpack" to exact the azw3 file to look at the file structure, but i can not figure out the problem. Each page is a .xhtml file which contains the "Text" and sets the images as a "Background image" stored in a different folder.

I have to assume the problem is related to either the content.opf file or one of the two .css files. However I don't have any clue of what to edit in them.

I want the ebook to display correctly on my PC, iPad and Fire Tablet.

I have attached an example .azw3 file that i want to convert to .epub.

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-12-2020 at 06:12 AM.
save8lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:14 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice
Do not post unauthorised copies of copyright works to MobileRead.

And a Disney title! Were you trying to get MobileRead sued out of existence?!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2020, 06:16 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If those are fixed layout eBooks, then you'll have to forget converting them. You can use the Kindle app on your computer, phone, or tablet to read them.

And one suggestion, do not mention that program (the one you mentioned after Calibre) as they've stolen code from free tools to make money.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
save8lot
save8lot began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If those are fixed layout eBooks, then you'll have to forget converting them. You can use the Kindle app on your computer, phone, or tablet to read them.

And one suggestion, do not mention that program (the one you mentioned after Calibre) as they've stolen code from free tools to make money.
So i was looking for an "Edit" button but cant find on to remove that program name. What other program did it steal code from?

Not sure how to know if they are "Fixed layout eBooks" or not.

Its not a very efficient method, but i did consider opening each .xhtml page in chrome, then printing as PDF, then combing all the PDF pages together to create the ebook. Although that can be tedious when you have multiple books to do, and i would much prefer the epub format anyway.

I cant seem to open the DRM Free azw3 books on my ipad at all. I tried the kindle app, mobi reader app and ibooks. The Kindle app on the ipad/iphone says "Incompatible Document Type", yet the Kindle app on my PC will open it just fine.

After converting them to ePub, they sometimes play pretty good (not perfect) in Calibre on the PC, but absolutely terrible in SumatraPDF and Icecream ebook reader. Also terrible on iBooks.

Obviously the MOD made it clear i can't upload one for you too look at, but i dont know if i am allowed to post screenshots of how badly formatted they look after conversion.

Any advise on converting them to properly formatted epub files (or even pdf at this point) would be appreciated.
save8lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is the title/author? I can grab a sample and have a look at it.

Kindle for iOS does not support KF8. It supports some hybrid format.
Advert
Old 08-11-2021, 05:08 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mujtaba View Post
Okay, so for azw3 to epub conversion I usually use Converter365. But since you said it does not work for you I really think that the problem might be in your device.
If you are pretty sure that your device is okay, try redownloading and reinstalling the software. I hope you work this out, good luck.
After rereading the original post, I'm thinking these are fixed layout children's eBooks and in that case, they will not convert.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:49 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
After rereading the original post, I'm thinking these are fixed layout children's eBooks and in that case, they will not convert.
I doubt that the original poster is still concerned with this problem. They haven't been active on MobileRead in the last year.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:11 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I doubt that the original poster is still concerned with this problem. They haven't been active on MobileRead in the last year.
This I do know. I was just saying to kind of end this thread given it was still going.
Old 06-25-2024, 05:19 PM   #9
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Searching because of a similar issue, I did come up with a fix that I wanted to share.

I've found that AZW3 books with formatted text on a background of pictures don't display on any of the Android apps I've tried. Converting with Calibre2 to pdf does cause formatting issues.

I've tried a lot of changes even mimicking my method and I can't get it to work.
Theoretically, when converting you can go to the pdf output, select the page size and margins and do the same thing I'm about to describe... except it doesn't work for me.

Instead, I opened the book for viewing in Calibre. Then I selected print to pdf. I set the page size to A4 (in my case) with 1" margins on all 4 sides.
The output was a perfect pdf duplicate.

Using the default Letter size does have the text properly configured, but the pages are too long and the bottom inch comes up on a second page.

Last edited by DoctorM; 06-25-2024 at 05:25 PM.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 07:44 PM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
From a DRM-free AZW3 you can simply use Calibre ‘convert’ to ePub function.

If it has DRM then you will need to google DeDRM Tools… then use Calibre’s convert function.

There is even a nice thread in the Calibre forum that talks about all these options.

What you are talking about sounds like a fixed-format book, which is best converted to pdf as you mention.

Last edited by Turtle91; 06-25-2024 at 07:47 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 08:53 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
From a DRM-free AZW3 you can simply use Calibre ‘convert’ to ePub function.

If it has DRM then you will need to google DeDRM Tools… then use Calibre’s convert function.

There is even a nice thread in the Calibre forum that talks about all these options.

What you are talking about sounds like a fixed-format book, which is best converted to pdf as you mention.
Googling DRM Tools does not get you the correct link. Also, you are allowed to link to the current version of DeDRM.

Latest version of DeDRM...https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools...947bf338d3ffda
Old 06-25-2024, 09:57 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
And for what it may be worth, I find that using KindleUnpack to create the ePub gives me a cleaner output file than calibre's convert to epub does.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 09:00 AM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And for what it may be worth, I find that using KindleUnpack to create the ePub gives me a cleaner output file than calibre's convert to epub does.

I agree, that's what I use too but didn't want to get too far into that subject. There are plenty of other threads talking about all these issues and how to convert the different formats with, or without, DRM that I didn't think we needed to go that deep in this old thread.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote