Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
How do I move JSON files?

Because I purchased a new computer, I need to transfer my Calibre from my old one which is current, to my new one, which has an older version already on it from a restore disk I made months ago.

Although I managed to get the books into the new library by having them routed to Drop Box, I do not want to have to re configure all my plug-ins and other metadata.

I was able to take care of the custom columns with copy to library, but I am still left with some of the plug ins, namely the Good Reads plug in, and I know this should be addressed to the Good Reads plugin forum, but the question I have fits for the entire Calibre library.

How do I find the correct Json (is that the right spelling?) file for the entire Calibre library, how do I move it from one computer and into the correct spot in the new computer so that I do not have to have two Calibre libraries, thus allowing me to delete the old one without worrying that I missed something?

I read the manual and it only reads that I will have to switch between the two libraries if one is already installed. I did everything possible to uninstall the older library on the new computer, but every time I re-installed it I was finding that the unwanted structure still remained. I spent too much time trying to figure this out. I read somewhere on these forums that copying the Json file from the desired library into a new one will take care of the structure, and I also read that the same thing could be accomplished with the Good Reads plug in.

Summary: Where is the main Json file for the entire Calibre library? How do I copy it into a new library? Same goes for the other plug ins.....Also, is this what I want to do, or is there another solution?
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
Because I purchased a new computer, I need to transfer my Calibre from my old one which is current, to my new one, which has an older version already on it from a restore disk I made months ago.

Although I managed to get the books into the new library by having them routed to Drop Box, I do not want to have to re configure all my plug-ins and other metadata.

I was able to take care of the custom columns with copy to library, but I am still left with some of the plug ins, namely the Good Reads plug in, and I know this should be addressed to the Good Reads plugin forum, but the question I have fits for the entire Calibre library.

How do I find the correct Json (is that the right spelling?) file for the entire Calibre library, how do I move it from one computer and into the correct spot in the new computer so that I do not have to have two Calibre libraries, thus allowing me to delete the old one without worrying that I missed something?

I read the manual and it only reads that I will have to switch between the two libraries if one is already installed. I did everything possible to uninstall the older library on the new computer, but every time I re-installed it I was finding that the unwanted structure still remained. I spent too much time trying to figure this out. I read somewhere on these forums that copying the Json file from the desired library into a new one will take care of the structure, and I also read that the same thing could be accomplished with the Good Reads plug in.

Summary: Where is the main Json file for the entire Calibre library? How do I copy it into a new library? Same goes for the other plug ins.....Also, is this what I want to do, or is there another solution?
Most JSON files used in Calibre are for Settings and Preferences (other types are also used)

The DB is the main metadata.
The Calibre FAQ has an entry on How/what (Basically the Configuration Folder AND The Library folder )

The only thing that may need a change is the Path to the Library (Switch/Create will take care of that)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2015, 12:26 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....backup-calibre

Plugin settings are stored with the main configuration (i.e. not specific to a calibre library, but instead applicable to your calibre installation)

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-20-2015 at 12:28 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copying libraries, json files