Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #1
brown131
brown131 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Nia
Calibre 5.0.1 Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" FIXED

I upgraded to Calibre 5.0.1 on a Ubuntu 14.4 LTS system, and got this error when I tried starting calibre:

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Reinstalling libxkbcommon-x11-0 did not help. To fix it, I first did "export QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1" This allowed me to see what the missing libraries were. I then looked them up one at a time at https://packages.ubuntu.com to see what package they belonged to.

I found that I needed to manually install the following apt packages:
libxcb-xinerama0
libxcb-icccm4
libxcb-image0
libxcb-keysyms1
libxcb-render-util0

I hope others find this helpful.
brown131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you download Calibre from the Calibre website or did you download it from your repository. If you downloaded from your repository then the issues you had could have been because of that. Repositories quite often get Calibre wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, Qt now-a-days no longer bundles large parts of xcb with itself, so you hve to have more of those libraries installed on your system. Typically, only installing libxcb-xinerama0 should be needed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown131 View Post
I upgraded to Calibre 5.0.1 on a Ubuntu 14.4 LTS system, and got this error when I tried starting calibre:

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Reinstalling libxkbcommon-x11-0 did not help. To fix it, I first did "export QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1" This allowed me to see what the missing libraries were. I then looked them up one at a time at https://packages.ubuntu.com to see what package they belonged to.

I found that I needed to manually install the following apt packages:
libxcb-xinerama0
libxcb-icccm4
libxcb-image0
libxcb-keysyms1
libxcb-render-util0

I hope others find this helpful.
I highly recommend that you upgrade to an OS that is not long past it's end of life date.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes, Qt now-a-days no longer bundles large parts of xcb with itself, so you hve to have more of those libraries installed on your system. Typically, only installing libxcb-xinerama0 should be needed.
Can you block Calibre 5 from being installed on obsolete Linux systems?
Advert
Old 09-29-2020, 04:25 PM   #6
Margaret
Margaret began at the beginning.

Device: Compaq laptop, ubuntu 16.04
I had the same problem as brown131, with Ubuntu 16.04 using the command line install from the Calibre website. Installing libxcb-xinerama0 seems to have solved the problem; all the other libxcb-* mentioned by brown131 were already on my system. Thanks all round for the help.
Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #7
Catweazle
Catweazle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you block Calibre 5 from being installed on obsolete Linux systems?
This also fixed the issue for me on Ubuntu 20.04. So not only obsolete Linux systems have this issue...
Catweazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
PaceyIV
PaceyIV began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I've installed all the suggested packaged in my Debian 10 but I still have this error

Code:

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Annullato
I've upgrade calibre with the web script.
PaceyIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceyIV View Post
I've installed all the suggested packaged in my Debian 10 but I still have this error

Code:

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Annullato
I've upgrade calibre with the web script.
Don't use your Linux suppository for anything at all Calibre related. Most Linux suppositories BOTCH Calibre big time. Go to the official Calibre website and get it from there.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:46 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Jon. Reading the op's post it states installed using the script from the web site. To my eye that is the official install and not from a distributions repository
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:52 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From the calibre Linux download page

Quote:
If you get an error*Could not load the Qt platform plugin xcb*you are missing some needed X11-XCB libraries, such as libxcb-xinerama0, for details see*https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=333503
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:34 AM   #12
PaceyIV

I've installed and updated Calibre only from the script https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh
Old 12-04-2020, 06:56 AM   #13
PaceyIV

It was missing libxcb-randr0
Old 12-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #14
Simon Taylor
Simon Taylor began at the beginning.

Device: none
'invalid style override 'gtk''

I was getting the 'abort' message cited in the thread on upgrading Calibre.

After installing libxcb-xinerama0, when launching Calibre from Terminal I receive the following:

QApplication: invalid style override 'gtk' passed, ignoring it.
Available styles: Windows, Fusion
Using proxies: {'no': 'localhost,127.0.0.0/8,::1'}

I am running Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit.

Thanks!

Best,
Simon
Simon Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #15
kotatsu
kotatsu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Anyone coming from the Calibre site confused and already tried the xlib stuff: Make sure you have qt5 installed! I'm on a completely fresh machine and needed it to work.
kotatsu is offline   Reply With Quote